VMware Cloud Community
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows SBS 2011 - Processor allocation

We have a SBS 2011 with approximately 30 users. I have assigned my VM 32GB RAM and 1 processor (1 x processor, 1 x core). My ESXi 5.0 host has plenty of spare resource:

esxi-host-summary.png

Any tips on what I should allocate? I am a little confused as to whether I should assing more processors or more processor cores?

vm_processor.png

Thanks for your feedback. Regards, Oliver

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JPM300
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

SBS 2011 is a frankenstien of a server as its running Windows, AD, Exchage, and sometimes even more.  I would say assign as many CPU's as required to make sure your not pinning the CPU but users still get a good expereince.  Seeing as you host is a duel socket 6 core CPU, You could go as a high as 2vCPU 6core each, however I wouldn't go this far.  I would say 2-4vCPU or 1vCPU 6core, either is fine.    Or start at 2vCPU and continue to work your way up until you reach a happy medium.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

SBS 2011 is a frankenstien of a server as its running Windows, AD, Exchage, and sometimes even more.  I would say assign as many CPU's as required to make sure your not pinning the CPU but users still get a good expereince.  Seeing as you host is a duel socket 6 core CPU, You could go as a high as 2vCPU 6core each, however I wouldn't go this far.  I would say 2-4vCPU or 1vCPU 6core, either is fine.    Or start at 2vCPU and continue to work your way up until you reach a happy medium.

0 Kudos
WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

" I am a little confused as to whether I should assing more processors or more processor cores" - the OS sees them as the exact same.. it comes down to licensing .

"using virtual sockets or virtual cores does not impact the performance of the virtual machine. It only effects the initial configuration and the ability to assign more vCPU when your Operating System restricts the maximum number of physical CPUs. Always check if your VM configuration is in compliance with the vendor licensing rules before increasing the vCPU count!" vCPU configuration. Performance impact between virtual sockets and virtual cores? - frankdenneman.nl

VCP5-DCV, CCNA Data Center