VMware Cloud Community
seven_auz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Don't know if the vNIC is already there and installed

Hi Pros!!..i run into strange Issue...need some help for rescue.

I have a windows server 2008 r2 sp1 VM. Suddenly the network card got red mark on it. The Network card is present in the Network Connections folder. The driver is installed properly, It saves IP Address/DNS address, but will not save the gateway. If i run via DHCP , it won't receive any address.. matter of fact the network card is not present in Network and Sharing center. It Seems that Windows is not able to see it while the driver is there in Device Manager and properly installed..

Did the following.

1. Remove all the previous NICs left over from Show hidden devices as well as Registry... Didn't worked- next reboot again guids were there..

2. Remove the Network and change to a New type to vmxnet3 via Vcenter- Didn't worked...

3. IPconfig /all won't show any IPs etc except the computer name.

4. Nothing been installed recently, except patches, which i have remove manually, but didn't worked as well

5. Reset the winsock - didn't worked.

O.S  windows server 2008 r2 sp1

Tools update on the server.

Vsphere 5.0 current update.

This is my first time posting here, Please move it to correct spot if it's not already..thanks

Any help will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
seven_auz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This issue have been resolved.

If someone have the similar issue and you are finished with options, don't forget to check on below, our resolution was below.

:- Uninstall SEP AV client on the server, Rebooted server, still Network card with Red Sign.

:- Remove Old vNic and Re-Added new vNic did the trick.

Thanks everyone!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the VMware community,

When you connect the NIC card, You are ticking both the boxes that say "Connect" and "Connect at Power On" right?

If one of these is not ticked you will run into issues like you stated. the card goes red and says disconnected.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
seven_auz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks mate !!

Yes indeed, and i have removed the vNic few times to change to E1000, Extended and Vmxnet3. But non of them worked..

i have also removed the hidden devices as per procedure, putting the value of nonpresent devices to 1 and show Hidden devices in View in device Manager.

it's still the same

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This discussion would be better handled in a product forum - which VMware product are you running the VM on?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
seven_auz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mware Vsphere 5.0

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator note: Moved to the ESXi 5 forum area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
seven_auz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This issue have been resolved.

If someone have the similar issue and you are finished with options, don't forget to check on below, our resolution was below.

:- Uninstall SEP AV client on the server, Rebooted server, still Network card with Red Sign.

:- Remove Old vNic and Re-Added new vNic did the trick.

Thanks everyone!!

0 Kudos