VMware Cloud Community
LM_Chris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Datacenter and 2008 Server Images

We just set up a new vSphere envrionment and purchased Windows Datacenter for all our ESX boxes. I haven't been able to get any guidence from Microsoft as far as how to utilize this licensing. When I make my Windows Server 2008 image, do I just use the Windows Datacenter key with it? I'm worried about deploying a Windows 2008 server from template, and then each time it goes out and sends the Datacenter key to Microsoft.

Any input is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Login to your mvls account...you will see 2 sets of keys for each operating system (kms and mak). You will need to use the mak keys for each O/S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have a OEM version you can use the product key for virtualization (on the right in your label).

If you have a multilicense version, than use the product key that you get from Microsoft license web site.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Datacenter licensing still requires Activation with Microsoft be it using the MAK key or the KMS. It also re-activates itself after 180 days...

KMS keys can only be used if you have at least 5 physical servers available for activation, and then you can use it to activate virtual instances, otherwise you are stuck using the MAK key

Either way, the eopen or MVLS portals will have a record of how many VM's you activated. With MAK keys they give you a dozen or more freebee activations and then after that when you hit the limit you need to email makadd@microsoft.com with all the relavent info and they will increase your limit.

Also, don't forget Datacenter licensing requires EVERY CPU socket in the farm to be licensed...so a dual socket server requires 2x datacenter licenses (at about $2500 a pop).

0 Kudos
LM_Chris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I purchased the per socket licensing. I'm still confused. We don't yet have the KMS server set up. Microft gave me a number of keys, VL1, VL2, and DMK. Do I just use those same keys for my Windows 2008 Std boxes as well?

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Login to your mvls account...you will see 2 sets of keys for each operating system (kms and mak). You will need to use the mak keys for each O/S

0 Kudos