VMware Cloud Community
BanierGarcia
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Activation Message

Hi guys!

When power on a migrate VMs I receive the Windows Activation Message (OEM id); how can I solve this issue in VMware ESX 4.0 Update 1?

The SMBIOS.reflectHost="TRUE" do not work (edit de vmx file using VI editor)

Thanks a lot

//////////////////////////////////

Cuando enciendo una VM recien migrada recibo el mensaje de activación de Windows (asumo que es porque el servidor fisico fue licenciado con una KEY OEM); ¿como puedo solventar esta situación? El parametro SMBIOS.reflectHost="TRUE" no funciono al agregarlo al archivo vmx usando el editor VI).

Gracias.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you making any changes to this VM before or after the migration in terms of the virtual hardware? Windows Activation will kick off if there are certain pieces of hardware that are changed.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
BanierGarcia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi;

No changes are made after the convertion. Any ideas??

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Was this a P2V conversion? If so, then a lot of hardware changed as the original hardware is no longer there. I believe Microsoft Activation will kick off if the CPU, HD and some other stuff...I don't remember all of it unfortunately.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
awliste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's the problem.

From the perspective of the operating system post migration, it's got entirely new parts. That's why yours is lit up asking to be activated.

Windows, and I'll offer this authoritatively for XP and hesitantly for Windows Vista/7/2008, has ten items it monitors for WPA - these items are devices unique to individual physical machines, some of which translate to the virtual world at diffferent levels - MAC address of NIC (if installed) SCSI controller serial numbers, VSN of processor, etc. The details of the list are easily found on the internet if you search. These change when you migrate/clone a VM, host specific. Are you running mixed processors in your cluster?

When you change any 3 of these items, Windows will decide it's being messed with and light up the activation request/warning that you are seeing.

How it knows is Windows makes a hash of these numbers and identifiers, and it keeps this hash in the c:\windows\system32 directoy as wpa.dlb (I think on the extension, been a while since I looked this up) and wpa.bak - the backup to the dlb file. Deleting these files will not help you. There are some antics you can play here that may or may not work, but it depends on your system and other variables (use google.).

Quite frankly, if you have legit licenses, the easiest route forward is to just let the VMs activate themselves. If you've burned through your authorized number of activations for that key and believe you are still legit, phone it in and explain the situation to M$.

My .02. Good luck trooper.

- abe

Integritas! Abe Lister Just some guy that loves to virtualize ============================== Ain't gonna lie. I like points. If what I'm saying is something useful to you, consider sliding me some points for it!