VMware Cloud Community
whorsfall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 8 Release preview and vShere 5 client issue?

Hi,

I have installed the Windows 8 Release preview (x64).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/release-preview

And I am having trouble getting the VMWare ESXi client to work.

When I try to remote control a virtual machine i get the error:

The VMRC Console has disconnected.. Attempting to re-connect.

I have tried various compatibility settings and it still does not work

BTW: I have patched my vmware so it is running ESXi 5.0.0 Build 702118.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ward.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
agallagh42
Contributor
Contributor

Aravind Sivaraman wrote:

Check this blog with solution of installation vSphere Clinet in Windows 8 RTM and see if it helps

That works for getting the client installed, but it does not fix the remote console functionality.

0 Kudos
Kernel86
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't experience this issue when running the Release Preview.  However, I just upgraded my laptop to the RTM and am now hitting this error when I try to open a remote console. Smiley Sad

--Kernel86
0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issue still there when using latest vSphere Client 5 (804277) on Windows 8 x64 RTM AND Window Server 2012.

Makes no difference to which server you connect: ESXi directly or vCenter, the Console error persists.

We probably have to wait for ESXi 5.1 being released on 9/11 ?

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Solved!

On Windows 8 x64 Enterprise (and Server 2012):

When using latest (v5.1) vSphere Client to a 5.0 host: not working!

When using v5.1 vSphere Client to a 5.1 host: working!

When using v5.1 vSphere Client to a vCenter 5.1 to a 5.0 host: working!

So in short: update your host & vSphere Client, or use (for instance) the vCenter Appliance ...

0 Kudos
AussieIT
Contributor
Contributor

Well it is fixed in VMware-viclient-all-5.1.0-786111.exe but this version only works with ESXi 5.1, and not ESXi 5.0

0 Kudos
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

I am guessing by the lack of responce that it does not.   Does this mean that ESXi 4.x and ESXi 5.0 users cannot upgrade to Windows 8 ?   After all, managing ESXi servers are more important that running Windows 8.

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It means that you cannot manage an vSphere 4 or 5.0 infrastructure from Windows 8 indeed.

Only solution is to use a local Win7 VM or not upgrade your laptop/desktop. You can RDP to the vCenter VM and manage everything too.

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem is fixed now.  Just download the latest version of the  vSphere client VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-913577.exe and install it.   Reboot and the problem is fixed!

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos