VMware Cloud Community
thepunisher
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 x64 - console screen white?

Hello,

I am having an issue where each time I connect to an esx/esxi host, I get prompted to reinstall the client.  I know there are 2 or 3 versions of the hosts, but I thought that the client versions would backwards compatible.  

The client does connect to the older servers, but the console screen is white & I found this article on the vmware site, however the article resolution doesn't work.

Once I follow this and launch the "old" version of the client, there is an error about an "object referenced" not found.  So I can't connect to the hosts.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102615...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ABDJBR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

can you do a clean install of the VI client  4.1 , if you have a previous version of VI client uninstall it and install the VI client 4.1 .

0 Kudos
thepunisher
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried removing the client, I had to remove 4.1, 4.0, and 2.5.  I cleaned out the crud left over in the profile directory, temp, and verified program files was empty.  I just reinstalled 4.1 and I'm prompted to install the older client again now.  I'm sure if I run the install then the console will fail to work which is what I've seen.  I can use the client to connect, but I can't use the console view which is critical for me right now.  I don't have a spare machine to try and run the client from somewhere else, but I would guess that others have this issue?    

0 Kudos
ABDJBR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

i have a win 7 x64 machine , i ran vi client 4.1 and connect to both ESX4.1 and ESXi3.5 , if am correct you have a problem in .Net framework installation try to check all required SP of .Net is installed correctly , can you post a screen shot of what you are experiencing ?

0 Kudos
ABDJBR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

one question : you are using the VI client 4.1 that ships with vSphere 4.1 suite right ?

0 Kudos