VMware Cloud Community
bravobrawi
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 and Windows2008R2 VM BSOD ntfs.sys

Hello,

since the update to ESXi 5.5.0 Build 2456374 some VM crash with BSOD ( ntfs.sys ) when we start to clone the VM for backup.

The VMware Tools are up to date ( typical installation not full ).

Are there any known issues?

Kind regards,

bravobrawi

51 Replies
drc0106
Contributor
Contributor

I talked with them this week. It got pushed to the second week of August. They think its a pretty firm date not but dont want to say for 100%. Also, we did consider a hotfix. At the time we thought the fix was going to be in early July so we decided not to pursue that route. I have already provided them with all the dumps and BSOD info. I also put them in touch with my Microsoft counterpart as well.

0 Kudos
alanpstephens
Contributor
Contributor

Just had a look at the patches released - nothing for this issue yet...

0 Kudos
HenS
Contributor
Contributor

Still nothing.

Any updated ETA ?

0 Kudos
rabidsmurf
Contributor
Contributor

The reply I just received from my VMware contact is "The fix is slated to be in 5.5 U3 tentative date of 9/16/2015"

0 Kudos
HenS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

5.5 U3 has been released. I have tried finding the fix in the release notes, but were unsuccesful.

Also, the KB article (VMware KB: Quiescing operations cause a Windows virtual machine to panic with a Stop 24 error on ntf...) has not been updated to reflect that this fix has been released in 5.5U3

Can anyone confirm that the fix is indeed in the released 5.5 U3 ?

0 Kudos
LordDiscord
Contributor
Contributor

This looks like a the fix:

--> The recent update in the vmware tools package

VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch ESXi550-201509102-SG: Updates tools-light

I do not know if the fix actually fixes the problem, in our environment the problem appeared randomly.

0 Kudos
InfoCess35
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I encounter this issue with Arcserve UDP backup solution.

I scheduled to patch my server soon.

But when this issue occurs, vmdk files are created on my datastores like :

MYVM-000002.vmdk

These files are dated with day when the issue occurs and all with the size 17 408,00 Ko

When my servers will be patched can i delete these files from datastores ?

Thanks you.

0 Kudos
MattHPN
Contributor
Contributor

Please don't delete those files.  You will lose data on your VMs.  Use the Web client to do the following:

1. Manage Snapshots->Delete all snapshots.

2. Manage Snapshots->Consolidate.

If there are no snapshots listed, please take a quick snapshot without any of the boxes checked and then run the steps above.  Those files are what your VMs are running on!

0 Kudos
InfoCess35
Contributor
Contributor

I have try this on a VM with 2 VMDK snapshots files :

VM-000002.vmdk

VM-000003.vmdk

When i take a snapshot, a new file was created VM-000001.vmdk

But when i do Delete all snapshots it's only delete the last file (VM-000001.vmdk) and i cannot consolidate.

How can i see what files are used by my VM ?

0 Kudos
MattHPN
Contributor
Contributor

In that case you can right-click and go to edit settings, then left-click on your VM Hard drives.  This should tell you in the information what disk the VM is pointing to.  In your case, it may be the base .vmdk.  I would open a case with support to have them help you clean up those files.  I am not comfortable you will not lose data without actually seeing the setup.

0 Kudos
InfoCess35
Contributor
Contributor

VM are not pointing to these snapshot. I will open a case.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
TomLuinstra
Contributor
Contributor

There is no update for ESXi 5.1? This issue is not addressed in build 3070626 which is released in october 2015. We see this massage as well and somethimes our vm''s arer chrasing, although it's not occuring every day (only one time per month or so) I would like to resolve this issue. We are running on ESXi 5.1 2583090, vmware tools version is 9.0.15 so we are in the scope of this issue.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2115997...

0 Kudos