VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows 7 / XP Mode

So Windows 7 doesn't support the VI Client yet. But for those of YOU that are complaining it doesn't work has NOT tried XP mode. XP mode, for those of that DON'T know or don't want to try it, runs Virtual PC and then runs an XP session on Windows 7. I have a laptop, and the perfromance is great. I only use it for this 1 app.

So try it, it's NOT what you think it is. VI Client (and all XP mode APPS) run in their OWN session. It's not like a VM, where you start the VM, you log into the VM, and THEN you start your apps..no no. It's seamless.

Try it, you won't worry about Windows 7 compability again. If you still don't want to try XP mode, don't whine that Windows 7 / VI Client don't work (without that work around -- that's a kludge) because XP mode works great. In fact, I can BARELY tell it's even running in a VM.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have got the vSphere client running on Windows 7 without using XP mode. Here is how to do it...

• 1. Obtain a copy of %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll from a non Windows 7 machine that has .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.

• 2. Create a folder in the Windows 7 machine where the vSphere client is installed and copy the file from step 1 into this folder. For example, create the folder under the vSphere client launcher installation directory (%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\Lib).

• 3. In the vSphere client launcher directory, open the VpxClient.exe.config file in a text editor and add a <runtime> element and a <developmentMode> element as shown below. Save the file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<runtime>

<developmentMode developerInstallation="true"/>

</runtime>

</configuration>

• 4. Create a batch file (e.g. VpxClient.cmd) in a suitable location. In this file add a command to set the DEVPATH environment variable to the folder where you copied the System.dll assembly in step 2 and a second command to launch the vSphere client. Save the file. For example,

SET DEVPATH=%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\Lib

"%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"

• 5. (Optional) Replace the shortcut on the start menu to point to the batch file created in the previous step. Change the shortcut properties to run minimized so that the command window is not shown.

You can now use the VpxClient.cmd (or the shortcut) to launch the vSphere client in Windows 7.

Note that this workaround bypasses the normal .NET Framework loading mechanism so that assembly versions in the DEVPATH folder are no longer checked. Handle with care.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have got the vSphere client running on Windows 7 without using XP mode. Here is how to do it...

• 1. Obtain a copy of %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll from a non Windows 7 machine that has .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.

• 2. Create a folder in the Windows 7 machine where the vSphere client is installed and copy the file from step 1 into this folder. For example, create the folder under the vSphere client launcher installation directory (%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\Lib).

• 3. In the vSphere client launcher directory, open the VpxClient.exe.config file in a text editor and add a <runtime> element and a <developmentMode> element as shown below. Save the file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<runtime>

<developmentMode developerInstallation="true"/>

</runtime>

</configuration>

• 4. Create a batch file (e.g. VpxClient.cmd) in a suitable location. In this file add a command to set the DEVPATH environment variable to the folder where you copied the System.dll assembly in step 2 and a second command to launch the vSphere client. Save the file. For example,

SET DEVPATH=%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\Lib

"%ProgramFiles%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"

• 5. (Optional) Replace the shortcut on the start menu to point to the batch file created in the previous step. Change the shortcut properties to run minimized so that the command window is not shown.

You can now use the VpxClient.cmd (or the shortcut) to launch the vSphere client in Windows 7.

Note that this workaround bypasses the normal .NET Framework loading mechanism so that assembly versions in the DEVPATH folder are no longer checked. Handle with care.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah I ALREADY did this, but now I reinstalled Windows 7, and XP mode is BETTER than the work around, that's my POINT. XP mode makes it MUCH easier, no need to modify files, and I hate the command prompt that comes up each time you use this work around. Maybe it works, but it's definately not a stable solution.

Besides, I didn't intend for this to a be a whole discussion about Windows 7 / Client, just letting everyone know that XP mode works very well.

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah it does work well, I'm using it for a couple of old VPN clients I still need to use, but it does use precious resources in running the XP VM. Not really a problem unless you are running multiple VMs in VMware Workstation as I have to do for client demos and suchlike. My two VMware workstation ESX hosts and vCenter VMs running NFS are taking up most of my resources! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos