VMware Cloud Community
FilippoNeri
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 ENT 64-bit video driver problem under ESXi 4.0

Hi,

I installed Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit OS virtual machine under ESXi 4.0.

After installing VMware Tools the screen went wrong. There was no picture at all just small color lines.

I found out that there is an incompatibility between the Windows 7 and ESXi 4.0 and the ESXI should be updated to ESXi 4.0 U1.

Currently it is not possible to upgrade ESXI that is why I reinstalled the Windows 7 and installed VMware Tools without upgrading the video driver.

Windows 7 is working now but the screen response is terrible, I can hardly use the Windows with mouse.

Is there any way to eliminate this problem without upgrading ESXI?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You could probably try one of the following:

- adjust the hardware acceleration in screen resolution -> advanced settings -> trouble shoot

- extract the VMware tools from the U1 ISO and install them (at least the video driver) in your VM

André

0 Kudos
FilippoNeri
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Where should I adjust the hardware acceleration in Windows 7 or in ESXI ?

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Always in Windows

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need the updated video driver which is included in Update 1. If you can't upgrade then you're kind of stuck.

Can you enable remote access to the Windows 7 VM and control it that way? That will give you much better performance than trying to use the vSphere Client.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos
FilippoNeri
Contributor
Contributor

Remote access speed using Remote Desktop Connection is also terrible slow.

Is it possible to get out somehow the new VMware Tools from the U1 install set?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can download the latest VMware tools package (236512) and extract the windows.iso in "data.tar.gz\data.tar\.\4.0.0\vmtools\windows.iso" using e.g. 7zip.

André

0 Kudos
FilippoNeri
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

The VMware Tools upgrade worked fine as you described.

The video driver was changed to VMware SVGA 3D and the resolution can be changed now to a usable value.

Thank you very very much

0 Kudos