VMware Cloud Community
thales01
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2k12 VM loses network randomly until is vMotion migrated

Hi,

I'm having a weird issue with only one Windows 2k12 R2 VM that is used as WDS Server, first off a quick summary of the environment:

Vcenter 6.0.0, 5318200, 4 Node Cluster - Dell FC630 all with vSphere 6.0.0, 7967664

The VM has two network cards VMXNET3, one for the Server Network and the other for the WDS Network, the weird issue is that randomly this VM loses network connectivity but only in the WDS Network, when this happens we can't ping the VM from outside or even from the Core switch, however the VM can supposedly reach his gateway by ping at least, the problem is solved if we vMotion the VM to any other Node but then again after some days the issue happens.

We use vlans however the ID is tagged correctly in the switches and also in the port group of all the 4 Nodes, it's very weird as the issue happens with any of the Nodes, for example if I move the VM from Host1 to Host2, the VM starts responding again in the WDS Network, then after a while the issue stars again and then I move the VM back to Host1 or Host3 and the issue is fixed and so on.

Any recommendations or anyone has had a similar issue?

Regards!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you checked related system event logs inside guest os windows event viewer.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

did you check your nic drivers and network adapter version ?

0 Kudos
thales01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for replaying so late, had a lot of other projects and forgot about this little issue, regarding the two questions, there are no significant alerts related to the issue in the event viewer and the NICs are up to date physically, also the issue is just this VM, all other VMs work without network issues, virtually the VM has the latest vmtools available installed, still haven't been able to figure out what could be causing this issue.

Regards!

0 Kudos