I stumbled into unreported connectivity problem during ESXi evaluation. ESXi server is currently hosting backup domain controller with remote access and terminal server - all Windows 2008 (R1) x64. Domain controlled is configured with two vmxnet3 adapters and has been functioning without hitches for almost a week now. Terminal server with routing and remote access however is losing connectivity randomly, and network adapters seem to crash on client (can't disable them after the connection is lost) when using vmxnet3 adapters. Changing vmxnet3 to e1000 seems to stabilize the system, but I'm starting to wonder if I should be using vmxnet3 at all.
Virtual network configuration is as follows:
- Virtual switch 0: connected to physical adapter vmnic0 (used by both dc and terminal server)
- Virtual switch 1: connected to physical adapter vmnic1 (used by terminal server for direct internet access)
- Virtual switch 2: no adapters (used by dc and terminal server for NAP and DHCP)
Physical hardware (fully supported according to hardware compatability guide):
- Intel S3210SHLC (latest bios)
- Adaptec 3085 (latest firmware) with 6x 1TB Seagate barracuda ES2 in Raid5EE
I don't mind running the terminal server using e1000, what I am worried about is the stability of the backup domain controller.