VMware Cloud Community
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 2008 Server Stability - ESX4.1

We are planning to implement an ESX4.0i host, and planning to run some Windows 2008 server VM's in that host.  Recently a vendor recommended we implement ESX4.0i over ESX4.1i because he had knowledge of some Windows 2008 server stability problems in the 4.1 environment.  Apparently 2008 server would just 'freeze' periodically, requiring a reset. I also managed to get a VMware support engineer to confirm this (off the record) and even he recommended 4.0. We'd really like to go with the latest release but don't want to end up with unstable VM's.  Can anyone comment on potential issues with Windows 2008 server in the ESX4.1i?

If there were issues that are known to have been fixed by an update I'd be comfortable going with 4.1.

Thanks.

Paul.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The main issue we deal with is that the vmware video drivers on Win2008 and vsphere 4.1 suck, certain versions (SVGA) are unstable.  This is fixed by running the latest tools, running virtual hw v7 and running the WDDM video driver.

I would reccommend vSphere 4.1 and Win2008 R2.

Ben

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There have been issues with VMware tools. I would suggest that you do some searching through the forums for things you might consider issues as it relates to your environment.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
bateslabel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I haven't had any stability issues like freezes, but today I disabled and uninstalled 4.1 tools, because Symantec Backup Exec can't backup the vms with those tools installed. Everything has been stable though. There is definately some differences between tools of 4.1 and 4.0. I can't speak to installing an older version though, that doesn't make much sense to me.

BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The main issue we deal with is that the vmware video drivers on Win2008 and vsphere 4.1 suck, certain versions (SVGA) are unstable.  This is fixed by running the latest tools, running virtual hw v7 and running the WDDM video driver.

I would reccommend vSphere 4.1 and Win2008 R2.

Ben

0 Kudos