VMware Cloud Community
MikeFarmerITP
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2008 R2 support

Has anyone heard of a patch/release that will have VMware offically supporting Windows 2008 R2? I am working on a project in which we need to deploy production Win2008 R2 servers for new functionality with this release. I've done a bit of testing with the "experimental support" and it's not gone well (BSOD/hangs/slowness/etc) and don't feel we can goto production with this version. We are running the latest Vsphere 4 build.

Any help on dates/inside information would be greatly appreciated I'd like to move this project into the next phase but am holding off the project manager suggesting "well Hyper-V does it" !

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check this recent thread, which indicates Nov/Dec depending on your needs...

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/240472

JP

Please mark answers as correct or helpful when they are!

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

We're running a few VM's with Windows 2008 R2, and they run just fine. Make sure when you install the VMware Tools, you uncheck the SVGA drivers. Installing those will cause your BSOD and Hanging issues. If you search the forums, you'll see lots of posts with the same issue... I ran into the same issues, and after uninstalling the SVGA drivers, everything is peachy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MikeFarmerITP
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I'll give that another try of doing a custom install without the SVGA drivers. Any performance issues or side effects of this? are you doing this in production or just testing?

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't notice any issues by uninstalling the drivers. I tested for a while for any stability issues and did not see any issues, and have since promoted all VM's I was testing to production. It's been 2 or months with no hangs/downtime.

0 Kudos