VMware Cloud Community
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 2008 R2 Server Stop Error 7B After Bare-Metal Restore to VM.

I've been trying to do a bare-metal restore of a physical Windows 2008 R2 Server onto a VM, and although the restore goes just fine, when I restart the VM after the restore, I get a STOP: 0x0000007B error (see attached screen-shot).  I've been able to find all sorts of 'fixes' on-line, but none really fix the problem.  Has anyone else done this and can provide a solution?  Thanks.

PJ.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As to  your suggestion about verifying the controller, and then using vSphere  Converter, are you suggesting I point the converter at the 'broken' VMDK  and use a Configure Machine option?

What you can do with VMware Converter, is to run the "Configure Machine" against the powered off VM (just select the VM after connecting to either the host or vCenter). The reason I mentioned to verify the controller before you do this, is that this controller is the default configuration for the OS you use.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What did you try so far? I'd suggest you verify that the VM has an "LSI Logic SAS" controller and then run the vSphere Converter using the "Configure Machine" option.

André

0 Kudos
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have used the Windows RE Load Drivers feature, and installed the required drivers for the LSI_SAS controller (I made an ISO containing the INF and LSI_SAS.sys files and used that as the source for Load Drivers).  I also tried using REGEDIT from Windows RE, loading the SYSTEM hive and changing the Start value under HKLM\p2v\ControlSet001\services\LSI_SAS to REG_DWORD 0 ... which is supposed to force W2K8 to load the LSI_SAS driver upon restart.  Finally, I tried using BCDBOOT to recreate the boot environment.  All have failed so far.

As to your suggestion about verifying the controller, and then using vSphere Converter, are you suggesting I point the converter at the 'broken' VMDK and use a Configure Machine option?  Sorry, but I dont have much experience with the converter.  I do have access to the latest Standalone Converter if that helps.

BTW, I've seen similar posting on-line about the same process failing with the same error when bare-metal restorting of W2K8 R2 to Hyper-V VM's too, so this issue is not unique to VMware VM's.

PJ.

0 Kudos
jimraina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi  citpaj

yes , you are right ,there is not single solution for single problem, there are lot of possibilites particular in blue screen case .  could you please let us knwo the steps you already have follwed and the output you get from those .so that we can guide you better way .

"You are stronger than you think"
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you have similiar problem when you are restoring on Hyper-V then it  should be related to drivers issue.

With VMware Standalone Coverted you can perform P2V operation

Refer this guide for assistance

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_50_guide.pdf

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As to  your suggestion about verifying the controller, and then using vSphere  Converter, are you suggesting I point the converter at the 'broken' VMDK  and use a Configure Machine option?

What you can do with VMware Converter, is to run the "Configure Machine" against the powered off VM (just select the VM after connecting to either the host or vCenter). The reason I mentioned to verify the controller before you do this, is that this controller is the default configuration for the OS you use.

André

0 Kudos
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't use the Converter because what I'm doing is restoring from backup.  This forms part of our disaster recovery strategy, which is to restore many of or physical x86 machines to VM's, so it assumes we have no physical machine available from which to perform a P2V conversion.  Again, thanks for replying to my question.

0 Kudos
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Andre.

I tried your suggestion.  It worked (to a point), but once Windows had started, detected some devices, prompted me to reboot, and rebooted, the machine can't start ... it displays a 'Windows failed to start screen' (attached).  Obvioulsy Configure Machine was able to inject drivers and registry settings to allow the machine to start cleanly, but when Windows detected the virtual hardware it bombed again.  Any further suggestions?

0 Kudos
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I appreciate the suggestion, but I have already tired the 'Windows 2008 and Windows 7 (LSI SAS)' portion of that link.  Andre's suggestion of using the VMware Converter to configure the machine got me further, but now I'm seeing a 'Windows failed to start ... status 0x000000e' message, and the system won't start.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
RajatMishra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you confirm the target ESX host version? It has to be atleast ESX 3.5 U5 in order to support Windows 2008 R2. I have had almost similar problem while trying to perform Windows 2008 R2 P2V.

Rajat

0 Kudos
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Target ESX host version is ESXi 4.1 U1.

0 Kudos
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually, immediately after I tired Andre's suggestion (Converter > Configure Machine), I booted into Window RE and used BCDBOOT to 'repair' the boot configuration and it seems to have done the trick.  I'll reboot it a few times, and repeat the entire process to be sure I can fix it every time.  I appreciate yours and everyone elses help with this.  I'll get back to the group and let you know that I can repeat this 'fix'.  Thanks.

0 Kudos