VMware Cloud Community
lighthorse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 2008 DC on the same box as domain pcs at boot time? Does it work?

I'm not much of a network guy, or a windows 2008 server admin, and I'd really appreciate any impressions those of you with more experience might offer.

I expect to build an ESXi box soon to help with my learning curve. I don't have a domain at my home office now, but need to set one up (also learning curve. It would be ideal if I didn't need to keep a windows 2008 dc running all the time, like they are in most workplaces. I was wondering if I install both the dc and the windows 7 domain members as vms on ESXi, will the dc be functional at boot time fast enough to be available to the domain's windows 7 vms? I do expect to turn off the machine when I'm not going to be using it for say 3 hours. With my standalone pc I put it into sleep mode a lot to save juice.

But without expertise in windows 2008 as a dc, or with ESXi, it's hard for me to project if this kind of scheme is going to work, or if it will fall flat on it's face. Am I going to have problems with the windows 7 vms if the dc is hosted on the same ESXi instance?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That will work fine.  Just make sure that once ESXi is running to start up the DC vm first and give it a few minutes to get going before starting your Win 7 vm's.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dkraut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That will work fine.  Just make sure that once ESXi is running to start up the DC vm first and give it a few minutes to get going before starting your Win 7 vm's.  

0 Kudos