VMware Cloud Community
haverer
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2008 Clustering problem

Hi Guys

I am hoping someone out there will be able to help me get to the bottom of this....

I have a 2 node cluster (both Windows 2008). I am trying to setup the quorum however I am having a problem with the storage.

I have a SAN Attached and I have set aside a 1Gb partition for the quorum. When I log onto the Server I can see the disk within disk manager, however when I click on "Failover Clustering" then click 'storage' nothing is showing up. I have read a few articles and they are suggesting I should be selecting "LSI Logis SAS" as the SCSI Controller within the Virtual Machine properties, however I only have LSI Logic Parallel (which I have chosen) and BusLogic parallel available.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I thought it was because I was using esxi3.5 and 2008 clustering doesn't work with this (or so I read) so upgraded to ESXi4 and still same problem.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you created the VM on ESXi 3.5, you'll want to upgrade the virtual hardware to get at the new ESXi 4.0 VM features.

1) In the VMs upgrade VMware Tools.

2) Shutdown the VM and then in the vSphere client right click and select upgrade virtual hardware.

You'll then be able to edit the VM and add an LSI SAS virtual adapter when you add a new disk.

0 Kudos
haverer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave

Thanks for your response.

I did as you suggested but still can't see the disks from within Failover Clustering but its online when you look in disk manager.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

For the 1 GB partition have you created a VMDK file on a datastore or are you using a RDM? If you look at the settings for the VM is the new virtual disk using the LSI SAS controller?

0 Kudos
haverer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave

I have created a 1Gb vmdk file on the datastore. This shows as "Mapped Raw Lun" and the compatibility mode is "Physical".

There are 2 SCSI Controllers showing in hardware. SCSI 0 is LSI Logic parallel and SCSI 1 is LSI Logic SAS.

0 Kudos
haverer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Just read over my last comment and Im talking nonsense, sorry. I am not using a vmdk file - it is an RDM. It's early morning! :smileyblush:

To create my 1Gb partition I added "new hard disk" to my VM and made it a "Mapped Raw Lun" pointing to the SAN

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Have you follow the official document?

Setup for Failover Clustering and Microsoft Cluster Service:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_mscs.pdf

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
ConstantinV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can check this whitepaper MS Cluster 2008, even cause it`s about Starwind`s iSCSI, but you can use it as a general step-by-step manual, to check yourself.

StarWind Software Developer

VCP 4/5, VCAP-DCD 5, VCAP-DCA 5, VCAP-CIA 5, vExpert 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
0 Kudos