VMware Cloud Community
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 2000 server on ESXi 5.5, It's really compatible?

I'd like to understand if vCenter 5.5 (ESXi 5.5) environment supports Windows 2000 as guest OS.

According to this document, http://partnerweb.vmware.com/programs/guestOS/guest-os-customization-matrix.pdf , vCenter until to 4.x supports this OS.

But in VMware Compatibility Guide: Guest/Host Search, if I set thiese search parameters:

Product name: ESX/ESXi

OS family name:Windows 2000

Product Release Version: ESXi 5.5 U2

OS Vendor: all

The answer is:

pastedImage_7.png

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16&produ...

pastedImage_10.png

What does it mean? There is support on ESXi 5.5 or no ? Or there is only for Windows 2000 which is compliant to above requirements?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes you can run mentioned OS under 5.5. The list means the features available for the selected guest OS. Also for 2000 you cannot have any support. This is the case with any legacy OS. You can always run on top of VMware, but latest features will not be available and there will not be any support from VMware or Microsoft.

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What means 'latest features will not be available' ? What features?

If I installed parallel second vmware environment with ESXi 4.1 for only WIndows 2000 machines ? What do you think?

It's better to run Windows 2000 VM on 4.x or 5.x?

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

What means 'latest features will not be available' ? What features? -- May be your VM controller(e1000) is not supported for the window 2000 host or you are hitting latency or even lost of datastore issue.

I would suggest to use use 5.x but before get into a production please do check in the test environment. But you will not get support from VMware or Microsoft for this.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's better to not run Windows 2000 at all on any platform if you ask me.

But VMware supports running it on ESXi 5.5, just as you can see in the HCL you provided, so just go with that. There is no point in running Windows 2000 on ESXi 4.x (which is out of support too). "Newer" features like PVSCSI or vmxnet3 are not supported for Windows 2000 under 4.x either.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Features as mentioned in screenshot you attached. It doesn't matter if you run it on 4 or 5. You can run on latest.

Please remember VMware will not restrict you to run any OS as long as it is supported by the hypervisor. Only that you will not be getting any support.

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I thought in this way because now I have n.5 Win 2000 servers (terminal server) in 5.5 environment. I migrated these machines from 5.1 to 5.5 and sometimes it occurs these machine go to crash (see Re: Windows server restarts unexpexcted in ESXi 5.5)

Then I read this document : http://vknowledge.net/2012/02/25/windows-2000-server-on-vsphere-5/

These 5 vm are running and they are in production from about 6 months on new environment, each server restarted unexpected in 6 months about 7-8 times. This one is no occurred in 5.1 vmware version.

So I thought best platform is 4.1 ESXi because Win2000 has been tested and supported until 4.1 vmware version so bugs and problems are solved. For new vmware version there is no support (and interest) to verify update actions for Windows 2000.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Your question isn't 100% clear. Are you asking if it is supported because you see the date "22 September 2013" ?

That's the release date for vSphere 5.5 see also vSphere 5.5 Release Notes

AFAIK Windows 2000 itself is supported on vSphere 5.5 and should work without issues, at least that is what I am seeing in your linked document. In fact I got a Windows 2000 server myself running in a non networked setup and it works great. No reboots at all.

The only Windows 2000 version that is supported is one with Service Pack 4 installed, but it supports: Win2000 Advanced server, Win2000 Data center server, Win2000 Server and Windows 2000 professional.

As you see the "End of Support" date isn't filled in, IOW it's supported.

So yes supported under vSphere 5.5 and in your case I would try to stay with current and certainly not go back to vSphere 4.x as general support for that has already ended, see also: VMware Product Lifecycle Policies

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I ask myself if Win 2000 creates problems in 5.5 environment because I'd like to be sure this os works fine (no cpu 100% problems, no crash, ...)

I don't asking if Windows 2000 is supported on 5.5 but if it's compatible, but if it run and works fine.

I have 100 vm in my environment of 5.5 vCenter and I thought to keep 2 older host servers for 4.1 (freeware version without HA) so I can to continue to update my hosts system without to be care to older OS.

In 5.5 if there were bugs with Win2000 guest system, the vmware developers shouldn't correct the mistakes giving new releases to cover these bugs. For this reason I thought to keep little servers where to keep older OS.

Did you understand my question now?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There are no known problems with Windows 2000 server as far as I am aware.

Things can always break there is no guarantee there are many reasons why something can break (also on an older release). At least on a current vSphere release you can get help if needed.

Personally I would try to keep my vSphere farm on the same patch level. That way your life is easier, you can run your guests anywhere and by staying current with security patches it will also be a bit safer.

Of course that is just my point of view.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

but latest features will not be available and there will not be any support from VMware or Microsoft.

I found out VMware gives support to Windows 2000 32 bit SP4 !

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

But you will not get support from VMware or Microsoft for this.

Same answer to haripadmamHari Narayanan !

Microsoft doesn't support more Windows 2000 but VMWARE gives its support to Win2000 SP4.

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Sure, but you may also notice (from above link/screenshot):

Attention: The following support details are pertinent to the specific combination of the operating system, VMware product version and OS Use stated

So it's just basic support of that OS/Sevice-Pack-Level and that specific VMWare version. As soon as you run specific services (e.g. terminal services or any other specific software like a database ...) support for an issues regarding that VMs will not be given by VMWare.

As I said in your other thread: You should really consider to get rid of Windows 2000.

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK, thank you for your further clarification.

Just for curiosity, terminal services are specific services but that are always Microsoft services. Why VMware should not to give support?

VMware support previous Windows 2000 OS as guest ?

thanks again

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Just meant that if you run for example terminal services and a certain driver (virtual NIC/storage etc. from above list) starts having issues there might be no further support or patches fixing this.

VMWare just does basic tests with legacy/old OS versions.

What you mean by "VMware support previous Windows 2000 OS as guest ?"?

You meant Windows 2000 pre SP4?

ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

if you run for example terminal services and a certain driver (virtual NIC/storage etc. from above list) starts having issues there might be no further support or patches fixing this.

This means that VMware support for Windows 2000 is basic in spite of terminal services is a Microsoft component  and not software of third part. It's all right? I thought support covers all components about Microsoft OS and of course no 3part sw.

What you mean by "VMware support previous Windows 2000 OS as guest ?

I want to say: VMware gives support for Windows 95, 98, NT, ... ?

0 Kudos