VMware Cloud Community
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 2000 PCI-toPCI Bridge Installation Loop when upgrading from virtual hardware 4 to 7

Greetings,

I have searched the forums already and found no resolution. I am having an issue with a Windows 2000 VM looping through the PCI-to-PCI bridge driver installation over 30 times after upgrading from VM Hardware version 4 to version 7. This is persistent through deletion of the drivers and reboot.

I have found the following document, http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-7870 , which shows some common Guest OS problems and it recommends deleting the Windows driver cache. Unfortunately, Windows 2000 does not have this driver cache as I have only found it to be existent in Windows XP and later generations of Windows installations.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What steps can be taken to eliminate this headache?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just an FYI, I found on a VMware Fusion document that when you upgrade from virtual hardware 4 to hardware 7 there are 32 new PCI devices supported which is what I am seeing pop-up over and over to be installed. Once the drivers are all installed, the problem goes away. Supposedly in newer guest OSes the installation is silent.

0 Kudos