VMware Cloud Community
JohnOCFII
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Upgrade fails - Paravirtualized SCSI the issue?

I've got an ESXi 6.0 system with a Windows 7 VM.  I'm trying to upgrade the VM to Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO.  I've removed VMware Tools, and switched the machine guest OS type to Windows 10.  The upgrade fails with the following message:

0xC1900101-0×20017

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

From reading in the VMware Fusion discussion area, this is likely to be a driver issue.  I have my disk controller set to para-virtualized SCSI. 

Any thoughts?  Is this preventing the upgrade from completing?

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnOCFII
Contributor
Contributor

I found this article today.  I'll have to look more closely to the upgrade process to see if I can install this driver during the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade.  It would sure be easier if we could do a "clean" install instead of the upgrade.

VMware Documentation for Windows 10

0 Kudos
JohnOCFII
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone else tried to do a Windows 7 (or 😎 upgrade to Windows 10 on ESXi?

I think my next test will be to try to downgrade the disk drivers from PVSCSI to SCSI and see if that works.

0 Kudos
chrisscootersof
Contributor
Contributor

I hit the same error, "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation" when upgrading a Windows 7 VM to Windows 10 on an ESXi 5.5 host.

The virtual machine hardware was configured with an LSI Logic Parallel storage adapter. Changing the storage adapter to LSI Logic SAS (after installing the appropriate drivers) resolved the problem and allowed an upgrade to Windows 10.

I also uninstalled VMware Tools before upgrading, but I don't know if that was required.

0 Kudos
dmchandrasinghe
Contributor
Contributor

Have you checked your software installations? If any endpoint protection or security software appears to be blocking system driver changes. Remove it and try

0 Kudos