VMware Cloud Community
viktormadarasz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Professional x64 1703 VLSC - No Sound No Sound Device under Vmware ESXI 6.5.0 Update 1 (Build 5969303)

Windows 10 Professional x64 1703 VLSC - No Sound No Sound Device under Vmware  ESXI 6.5.0 Update 1 (Build 5969303)

Edit: - I think it is not suppose to work under ESXI - only if I use it via RDP or Horizon View but not directly connecting from the Console

Installed/Reinstalled VMWare Tools ( even did repair) did not help

Reinstalled VM with the same ISO  did not help

Updated Windows did not help

Same ISO file I used for install is working correctly and Sound has no issue (works and sound device present/installed) and shows up under device manager in a VM created under Vmware Fusion for example

Anyone knows what is the issue?

Regards

Viktor

Screenshot from 2017-10-08 11-19-29.png

Screenshot from 2017-10-07 19-29-18.png

Edited: Attached 2 screenshots

Edited: Replaced the 1st screenshot as it was misleading ( it was saying Vmware tools: Not Running .. Current ) I re-took the screenshot after reloading the Vcenter 6.5 Console and now the shot is accurate

Edited: I start to wonder does it suppose to work? Or it should only work via audio redirection using RDP or Vmware Horizon still in ESXI 6.5 ??

Message was edited by: viktormadarasz

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As already stated, you have to add a sound card to your virtual machine. You cannot do this from the ESXi /Vcenter-server user interface.

Either you have to add it manually by editing the *.vmx file by adding these lines:

sound.allowGuestConnectionControl = "true"

sound.autoDetect = "true"

sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

Or you connect to your VM via your Vmware Fusion or Vmware Workstation installation and add the sound device from their add hardware UI.

At least with VMware Workstation on Windows you can then hear remote sound from your VM running on ESXi. On Linux VMs only local sound would work - that's not really possible or if possible not a good idea in a big datacenter.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies
viktormadarasz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have downloaded the more recent Vmware tools 10.1.15 ( compared to 10.1.7 on my ESXI 6.5 / Vcenter 6.5 ) but the problem still persist under Vmware ESXI 6.5 Update 1 (Build 5969303)

However under Vmware Fusion 10 I don't have any issue with the Windows 10 Professional x64 1703 VLSC ISO I am using , I am still pending to test it with VmWare Pro 14 which just got released a while ago but I guess it will work OK just like in Fusion 10

Vmware ESXI 6.5 Update 1 (Build 5969303) with VmWare Tools 10.1.15 from http://www.vmware.com/go/tools

Screenshot from 2017-10-08 11-27-43.png

Screenshot from 2017-10-08 11-26-49.png

in Vmware Fusion 10 it comes with Vmware Tools 10.1.15 and even before installing it audio works OOB ( see screenshot) - same Windows 10 Professional 1703 VLSC x64 ISO used here Works correctly

Screenshot from 2017-10-08 11-40-32.png

At this point don´t know what else to try

Regards

Viktor

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you actually add Sound Card as a device to a VM?

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As already stated, you have to add a sound card to your virtual machine. You cannot do this from the ESXi /Vcenter-server user interface.

Either you have to add it manually by editing the *.vmx file by adding these lines:

sound.allowGuestConnectionControl = "true"

sound.autoDetect = "true"

sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

Or you connect to your VM via your Vmware Fusion or Vmware Workstation installation and add the sound device from their add hardware UI.

At least with VMware Workstation on Windows you can then hear remote sound from your VM running on ESXi. On Linux VMs only local sound would work - that's not really possible or if possible not a good idea in a big datacenter.

HTH

viktormadarasz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Pwolf

thanks a lot

I confirm Your solution works

i can get sound inmediatelly after modifying the vmx file as stated

I can use on my linux box vmware player 14 as remote console to connect to the windows guest and i get sound on my linux box from the guest correctly ( tested with web radio inside the guest os)

Screenshot from 2017-10-15 14-01-35.png

Regards

Viktor

0 Kudos