VMware Cloud Community
clamaz
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Guest on vsphere 6.7 random shutdown (no restart)

Windows 10 20h2 / 1909 Guest on vsphere 6.7 random shutdown

Hi I'm facing with this problem with some VMs win 10 latest version 20h2 or older like 1909.
They shutdown randomly. No bluescreen, no error, Just regular shutdon (no restart) I have to start manually.

The problem is that I don't know when they random shutdown, and so it happens that users are unable to connect with those VMs (used as virtual remote desktop)

This is not linked with windows update restart. It could happen once a week, sometime after 10 days....no rule

In windows event log I can see: event id 1074: The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (COMPUTERNAME) has initiated the power off of a computer (COMPUTERNAME) on behalf of user DOMAIN\REMOTEVMUSER for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
I posted question on ms forum with no results : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/218240/runtimebroker-shutting-down-no-restart-win...

It seems it is a common random problem without certain solution.

Any ideas?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
stefanotoni
Contributor
Contributor

Hello someone solve the problem?

I have the same behavior

Thank you

Stefano

0 Kudos
clamaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stefano,

it seems nobody known this problem. It still random happens on my win10 vm.
On the same host, there are other VMs, also win servers, but until now, only win10pro seems to be affected
error still the same:

the process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (COMPUTERNAME) has initiated the power off of a computer (COMPUTERNAME) on behalf of user DOMAIN\REMOTEVMUSER for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

Anybody knows how to solve it?

Marco

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd guess, that someone with access to these VMs is powering them off, either on purpose or not knowing, what (s)he does. Look at the people, who have remote access to those VMs.

0 Kudos