VMware Cloud Community
shacklrobert
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Guest on Esxi 6.0 random power off

Esxi 6.0 build 2809029 is intermittently powering off a Windows 10 Enterprise guest.  The problem has been replicated on two different hosts.

The guest event logs show power lost but no error messages.  As far as the Windows guest is concerned the power was cut.

The relevant ESXi logs are attached.

I found some similar behaviour in the forum for VMWare workstation.

The solution there was to remove the SATA CD drive and replace with an IDE drive.

I have done that and the guest has been up for 24 hours.  Previously it shut down roughly once every 24 hours, sometimes more often.

Will post back if it stays up.

Anyone else seeing this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Same thing here. Same ESXi build and same version of Windows. Event tab on ESXi host makes it seem like the VM crashes at the ESXi level and then HA turns it back on. I just removed the cd drive entirely as the vms didn't really need one anyway for now and everything seems fine now (I stopped looking after a couple of days so I assume it's all still ok as it's been a couple of weeks now Smiley Happy )

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi folks,

We're very aware of this issue, and have a fix ready to go out with the next update.  Changing the CDROM to IDE is a good workaround in the meantime.

The cause of the problem is that Windows 10 is sending some unexpected S.M.A.R.T. monitoring commands to our virtual SATA CDROM drive, and our emulation fails due to the mishandling of those unexpected commands.  Our fix will address the mishandling of those commands.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Darius,

Now that 6.0 update 1 is out, can you confirm if the fix is in there? I didn't notice anything in the release notes

Thanks

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Oops... Apparently my gauge of "next update" is seriously out of calibration.  (Sorry, too many releases in flight right now to keep track of 'em all.)  We have a fix in the pipeline, but it's not available in any ESXi release yet.

Please continue to use an IDE CD/DVD drive for now.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos