VMware Cloud Community
jmehta70
Contributor
Contributor

Window 2008 server in place upgrade while join in AD

I have windows 2008  R2 server in the domain as VM. when I am doing in-place upgrade to Windows 2012 R2 server I am getting the following error.

Windows can not install required file. network problems may be preventing windows from accessing the file. Make sure the computer is connected to the network and restart the installation. error code 0x80070005

VM is connected to the network and able to access the internet.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi jmehta70,

This is not actually the right place for this query as it’s not VMware related Smiley Happy

Having said that, the error message you are getting is suggesting an access denied issue. A lot of the time with newer versions of Windows this is related to 3.x .NET Framework.

Since it appears you are running VMware, why not create a new VM with Windows 2012R2 and promote this as a domain controller to the existing domain? After that demote the Windows 2008R2 Server making sure you have migrated any additional roles and features.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
johncol
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would go with the new VM idea , technically VMware does not support the installation of major update releases on an operating system as an upgrade inside the VM

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos