VMware Cloud Community
Beadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Win VM loses connectivity to network

Hello,

I have ESXi5.5, I have noticed this behavior with few of my machines

At an instance I noticed CPU was pegged at 100% and then its no longer on network, after reboot everything good.

Does it sounds like a windows issue or at Vmware end.

Thanks in Advance

3 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

What is your OS? I had same issue on Windows XP 64bit on AMD processors.

When VM is hanged, VMware Tools status changed to "Not Running" and then we had to reset the VM.

Also VM has no network activity when this situation is happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
Beadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for late reply..

I had posted here after facing issues with Win 2012 and 2012 R2

Now also noticed with Solaris box, whenever we are doing big files FTP network start to bleed (because of Virtual drivers) and finally no network to VM,

changing NIC type to VMXNET3 have solve the issue but not completely, its better but not perfect yet.

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

There is/were issues (not sure if it was resolved in u1) with the e1000 vnics and Windows 2012, the work around was to vmxnet3 vnics and this will resolve your network connectivity issues.  The other possible cause to this is you don't have enough vCPU configured for the VM to process in the incoming data especially if you are transferring large amount of data around.  Consider increasing number of vCPU and see how it performs.

See VMware KB: Possible data corruption after a Windows 2012 virtual machine network transfer

vfk

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP