VMware Cloud Community
NRC
Contributor
Contributor

Win 2012R2 iscsi not connecting

Hi,

I have two ESXi 5.0 update2 boxes with are not able to connect to an iSCSI target on a Win2012R2 Server.

I always get the error 0301 back.

One of the ESXi has a iSCSI Connection to a QNAP device, therefore I know that the iSCSI itself is working.

All machines are in the same Network with no Firewall turned on (also the fw on the 2012 Server is off).

I can connect to the iSCSI target from my Windows 7 PC. Therefore I asume that it is working also correct.

Here is a screenshot from the 2012 Server:

scsi1.jpg

And a screenshot from the ESX Server:

scsi2.jpg

Does anybody now what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Florian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

Are you configuring iscsi initiator on Windows 2012 R2???

If ESX configure iscsi, then iscsi target would be visible in ESX only.

Please clarify.

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
NRC
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure what do you mean.

I have created an iscsi target on a Windows box via the Windows storage spaces and want to connect from the ESX to this target.

Does this answer your question?

Florian

0 Kudos
WilsonTsui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Can you double check on your firewall to ensure that iSCSI Target Group is enable (2 Rules). You may refer to the following article, http://workinghardinit.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/upgrading-windows-server-2012-iscsi-target-to-window...

I had the same issue on my environment, and I just need to ensure my firewall isn't blocking it. I do not need to do anything on the firewall on Windows Server 2012 however Windows Server 2012 R2 will required manually enable to allow iscsi traffic.

0 Kudos
WillDB
Contributor
Contributor

I actually just recently resolved this issue its because the Windows server tries to resolve back to the ESXi host instead of the initiator to resolve this issue add an entry to your host file on the storage server like so

ESXIHOSTNAME.DOMAIN.COM xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

you can add multiple IP addresses for multiple adapters you may want to add the esxi host ip as well

0 Kudos
WillDB
Contributor
Contributor

you can resolve this issue by adding the IP to the storage server host file as follows

ESXIHOSTNAME.DOMAIN.COM  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

this is cause by iSCSI trying to resolve the host on the domain

you can add multiple IP addresses for multiple adapters

0 Kudos