VMware Cloud Community
RSkym
Contributor
Contributor

Will NTP daemon stop when the time offset between the ESXi host and the remote NTP server is too high to be corrected automatically?

Hi all

I need your help.

I read the KB

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005092

In addition, a message similar to this may appear in the hostd.log file on ESXi 5.x:

[info 'ha-eventmgr'] Event 91 : NTP daemon stopped. Time correction 1206 > 1000 seconds. Manually set the time and restart ntpd.

the KB teach me, NTP daemon will down.

So I tried to create the situation, but ESXi ntpd always fix it's time with local_clock(0) before NTP damon down.

I can't confirm weather ntp daemon stop or not.

I want to know how can I confirm NTP daemon stopped ?

when the time offset between the ESXi/ESX host and the remote NTP server is too high to be corrected automatically.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

In the esxi side you can check the service /etc/init.d/ntpd status to check ntp service.

It always recommended to use your Ntp server for all your infrastructure component.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
RSkym
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I know, In the ESXi side,

When /etc/init.d/ntpd stopped,

i can get " Event 107 : NTP daemon stopped. Time correction 4294898903 > 1000 seconds. Manually set the time and restart ntpd ." from hostd.log

and

i can get " [esx.problem.ntpd.clock.correction.error] NTP daemon stopped. " from vobd.log,

But, I CAN'T create the situation "ntpd stopped because of the time offset"

so I want to know, NTP daemon will stop because of the time offset or it will not stop.

thx

0 Kudos