VMware Cloud Community
Quadrimium
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will I be needing a paid ESXi license for my HP ProLiant / ESXi 6.7 server?

This will be my server: A HP ProLiant DL380 Gen10 with two Intel Xeon-Silver 4114. (i.e., it has 2 physical CPUs with 10 cores each).

I want to install ESXi hypervisor 6.7. I will not be using vCenter server.

The server will be used to host about 40 Windows guest machines. I've got the Windows licenses covered.

So will I be needing a paid license for ESXi?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For the 60 day evaluation period, the ESXi will be available with full blown feature set. Post the evaluation period, certain features will be locked until a valid license is applied. However, the basic functionality will still be available post the evaluation period. Please take a look at the below links -

https://www.altaro.com/vmware/esxi-free/

A quick look at VMware vSphere Editions and Licensing

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For the 60 day evaluation period, the ESXi will be available with full blown feature set. Post the evaluation period, certain features will be locked until a valid license is applied. However, the basic functionality will still be available post the evaluation period. Please take a look at the below links -

https://www.altaro.com/vmware/esxi-free/

A quick look at VMware vSphere Editions and Licensing

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Whether you are going to use the free Hypervisor license, or a paid license is up to you, and basically depends on your needs.

The free Hypervisor is limited to 8 vCPUs per VM, and has restricted API access, which prevents from using most commercial VM based backup applications.

Please remember that you'll need to use the HPE customized ESXi installation image for that host (includes additional HPE drivers, and tools).

André

FAUCONH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

@Leadership 

If I buy a standard licence (cheaper for me, I'm a teacher) from Vmware will it be accepted inside HPE customized ESXi installation ? or Have I to buy a specific HPE licence ?

Cheers !

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
The license can be entered online, VMware licenses apply to both its standard distribution, as well as to the server manufacturers' distributions, this customized image is nothing more than the same VMware standard image + the hardware manufacturer's own drivers.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos