VMware Cloud Community
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will I be able to use vSphere advanced features with this server combo?

I have an old HP Proliant ML350 g4p running ESXi 4. It has an Intel Xeon processor, but NO Intel-VT. I am considering purchasing an ML110 G6 (also Intel) because it has Intel-VT and although not on the HCL, the processor and NIC are.

Will I be able to use features such as vMotion, Storage vMotion, VDR etc with these two servers or is this not possible because the ML350 g4p doesn't have Intel-VT?

If I create a VM (not 64bit) on one of the servers can it be moved to the other (offline if necessary) without causing trouble or is this also not possible because of the hardware differences between the servers?

I'm trying to determine whether purchasing the ML110 G6 is a wise choice and how I would utilise my old server as it has all the storage, RAID, BBWC etc.

Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You probably aren't going to be happy with unsupported hardware and especially with hardware that can't support 64bit guests. vCenter 4.1 requires 64 bit. vDR requires 64bit. Storage vMotion requires an Enterprise or better license. You would need shared storage for HA, vMotion.

I would perhaps consider using the older server as a shared storage device and look for 2 new devices that would be supportable.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You probably aren't going to be happy with unsupported hardware and especially with hardware that can't support 64bit guests. vCenter 4.1 requires 64 bit. vDR requires 64bit. Storage vMotion requires an Enterprise or better license. You would need shared storage for HA, vMotion.

I would perhaps consider using the older server as a shared storage device and look for 2 new devices that would be supportable.

When you say that you would use the old server for shared storage, what software would you use? Would you install OpenFiler natively on the server or still run ESXi but run it as VM?

EDIT: I want to add that I have an Iomega IX2 (grey) which I could use as shared storage.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

When you say that you would use the old server for shared storage, what software would you use? Would you install OpenFiler natively on the server or still run ESXi but run it as VM?

There are lots of choices for storage software. Freenas, Openfiler, Open-e (free for less than 2TB), Falconstore, Starwind etc. as well as just plain Linux as an NFS datastore.

I have used Open-e. It is really quite good.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos