VMware Cloud Community
rajkanuri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will ESXi stay as free product?

I am more curious to know if vmware ESXi will still stay free with the future updates, As all further developments of vSphere will be done on ESXi..

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.

I would say that VMware vSphere Hypervisor (i.e. ESXi free)  will remain free.  In general the money is in the management products and not the hypervisor.  Given the free alternatives it would be quite an odd decision if they were to remove the free license.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.

I would say that VMware vSphere Hypervisor (i.e. ESXi free)  will remain free.  In general the money is in the management products and not the hypervisor.  Given the free alternatives it would be quite an odd decision if they were to remove the free license.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I can not imagine why VMware would remove the free license.

The free license means that when the company requires more advanced features and management they will have to pay for a license from VMware rather then using XenServer or Hyper-V.  If they removed the free license they would be basically giving money to the competition. Smiley Wink

rajkanuri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply

Although inapprorpiate to the discussion woulld to mention the following

I have Just notcied that the learn more here link is improperly inserted, have a look at that

URL: http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/server/vsphere/esx

ESXi will be the only  hypervisor architecure available with future vSphere releases following  4.1. Now is the time to ramp up your expertise about ESXi. You can start  by take advantage of the new FREE ESXi course and ebook offer that  VMware just made available.  Hurry up though the ebook offer will  continue while supplies last! Learn more here

"
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll get it fixed.

0 Kudos
asilanat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

Would you happen to know if it's possible to obtain a license key for ESXi 6.0?  I downloaded a free, licensed copy a couple of years back, but I recently had to rebuild the host it was running on and it seems the license key is no longer available on my account.  In fact, the entire record of my original download is gone.  ESXi 6 is the only version that still supports my old MacPro3,1 Xeon processors. 

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

~ Tana