VMware Cloud Community
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why we should use VMWare ESXi over Citrix XenServer and Microsoft Hyper-V?

Hello Experts.

I have a question and it is that Why we should use VMWare ESXi and not Citrix XenServer or Microsoft Hyper-V?

I saw some diagrams that compare these products but I can't understand the final words!!!

Thank you.

4 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

With Hyper-V 2016 the so called Nano Server the features provided are a match to what vSphere provides.

where vSphere being a more mature product provide the performance and reliability which cannot be matched by other hyper-visors.

anything in particular which you cannot understand?

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

This is all about how you are going to architect your environment based on several factor like HW vendor,Guest OS and partnerships.Generally why i prefer VMware because of compatible with most of hardware vendor,easy to management and less memory footprint.

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/hyper-v-esxi-and-xen-server-comparison

0 Kudos
timweaver23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

VMWare = easy to support, more technical people understand how it works, is the leading Virtual platform, does what it says on the box, is expensive, licencing of other software can be complex, clustering is easy to put together.

Hyper = Cheaper then VMware, not as easy to understand, Microsoft have made a big deal about it but am still to see what all the hype is about, clustering can be painful, Storage can be painful, backup and snapshots can be painful (loads of VSS errors).

XenServer = Whats that? just joking, i haven't used it that much and have only seen it used in full blown Citrix environments to deploy virtual desktops.

Cheers

0 Kudos
zivkal
Contributor
Contributor

The final word in a comparison really depends on the use case and your requirements.

Could you shed some light on the use case?

Are you virtualizing traditional workloads (e.g MS, Oracle, SAP and etc.) or Cloud Native/Containerized ones?

Is your HW is supported by all three solutions? and if so, which hypervisor(s) can take full advantage of your HW?

Do you plan to virtualize other DC functions such as Storage and Network in the future?

Do you have other software solutions in your stack? which one of the hypervisor(s) can be integrated with them?

What skill sets does you organization has?

Do you plan to utilize public cloud resources now or in the future?

These are some of the points you'd have to consider as part of your decision, and evaluate which hypervisor can satisfy your current and future needs.