VMware Cloud Community
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why it failed to upload ova file during creating VM?

Hi I am creating a VM in ESXi6.7, but it failed to upload the ova file during the process. Please see the below error message. However I can upload the ova file to datastore1 directly without any issue.  How can we resolve it? Thank you

gciscol_0-1612724849677.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can basically use VMware Workstation to migrate the VM to an ESXi host. Simply uploading it won't work, because of a different .vmdk format.

However, what you may try is to extract the OVA package, delete the .mf file (as well as other signature files if present), and try to deploy the VM using the extracted .ovf, and other files.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. Can you confirm that the OVA is supported to be deployed on the ESXi version that you are using?
  2. Does the OVA vendor support the deployment on an ESXi host, or does he require vCenter Server?

André

0 Kudos
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. I use vcsa to create the VM and I can see its stuck there "Validating..." when it is in step three: "Select a compute resource" . Please see the below. It looks like the ova file cannot be supported in ESXi. but it can work in Workstation. Can I just copy and paste the VM in Workstation to the ESXi host? 

gciscol_0-1612730811414.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can basically use VMware Workstation to migrate the VM to an ESXi host. Simply uploading it won't work, because of a different .vmdk format.

However, what you may try is to extract the OVA package, delete the .mf file (as well as other signature files if present), and try to deploy the VM using the extracted .ovf, and other files.

André

0 Kudos
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos