VMware Cloud Community
fsckit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why do virtual machines make such lousy NFS servers?

We are using some Linux Virtual Machines as NFS servers, sharing a few small file systems to 3 - 4 clients. I know this is not a common use for a VM, but we often have need to share files, and NFS is quite convenient. (The file systems I am sharing are on SAN storage, and their performance is great. This is not a disk I/O issue.) 

Problem is that the NFS performance is highly variable.  I cannot determine what is causing the high degree of variance in the NFS performance; it is nothing obvious like network or I/O load on the ESXi host or the NFS client or server.  I've used NFS often on physical servers and I know how to tune it.  On VMware I'm just not seeing what is causing the slow down.  A batch job can go from taking 20 seconds to over 5 minutes.  A recursive listing of the NFS file system takes anywhere between 4 seconds and 18 seconds. I do not encounter this degree of variance when using physical NFS servers.

The problem seems specific to NFS rather than network. I use netcat to test TCP performance between NFS clients and server, and it is good, without much deviation.

Any ideas on what I can look at?   Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies