VMware Cloud Community
micmizer
Contributor
Contributor

Why do i have to migrate my vmware network after vmotion

I am sure I am missing something fundamental here. I have been working with ESX 5.5 to setup a new deployment with virtual distributed switches using LACP (this is new to me). I seem to have run into an issue where following a vmotion the VM is no longer accessible from the network until I migrate the vm network to a portgroup on the local host. i.e. One portgroup per host which contains 4x 1gb ports configured for LACP.

So lets call this host A and host B and the VM linux. Both hosts have a 4 port LACP port group which resides in the same virtual distributed switch. linux has a network adapter in the h1-portgroup which contains the interfaces on host A. The h2-portgroup contains the interfaces on host B. When I vmotion a VM from host A to host B I lose network access to the VM until I go in and do a network migration for said VM from the host A port group to the host B port group. Essentially all this is doing is moving the network adapter to the h2-portgroup. I am not sure if my understanding of this is just flawed but when I do a vmmotion I expect, or would like, for the VM to re-associate its network adapter to the h2-portgroup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
amanvcp
Contributor
Contributor

Do you see anything in vcenter logs?

0 Kudos
sneddo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm confused- why do you have portgroups per host? Generally you would want the same port group on your dvSwitch, and each host will have NICs in the uplinks portgroup.

Could you post a screenshot of the switch config?

0 Kudos
micmizer
Contributor
Contributor

As I understand it, its one lag per port group. Right?

Attached is a picture of the VDS topology

0 Kudos
micmizer
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that earlier as well and it says its unsupported to have more than one LAG active or standby in a portgroup. Attached is a screenshot of what that looks like.

0 Kudos