VMware Cloud Community
Clarkington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why do I have [VM name]_1.vmdk, _2.vmdk with no snapshots?

Hello,

I'm trying to consolidate my VMs to a small file size so I can transfer them to a new server. I have had a number of snapshots for a long time previously. I deleted all the snapshots so the VM is flat. Next, I looked at the files in the datastore for the VM. I see the following large files:

[VM name].vmdk

[VM name]_1.vmdk

[VM name]_2.vmdk

All three are the same size, and all three are the size of the VM's hard disk. The VM is using [VM name]_2.vmdk as the drive.

Why are three what appear to be three copies of the hard disk file? Is there a way to merge them so I only have to transfer one?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

probably only one is uptodate - the other two may have been replaced in the history of the VM

use a temporary VM with a Linux LiveCD and inspect whats in the unused 2 disks - then you will know whether the disks are trash or valuable

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It sounds like when you created your VM you created 3 virtual disks - each virtual disk is stored in its own VMDK file - no there is no real way to merge

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

probably only one is uptodate - the other two may have been replaced in the history of the VM

use a temporary VM with a Linux LiveCD and inspect whats in the unused 2 disks - then you will know whether the disks are trash or valuable

0 Kudos
anandprakash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Could you please mound these drives and check the contents. You never know what hidden information they have.

I would recommend to check this before you take a decision.

Regards,

Anand Prakash

Regards, Anand
Clarkington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is a lab environment that has many snapshots, rollbacks, rollforwards, renaming of VMs and some reconfiguration. I checked all the VMs and in almost every case, the number of .vmdks is equal to the number of snapshots, +1. This makes sense as each snapshot creates a .vmdk and you always start out with a default one. With each snapshot .vmdk, the provisioned size is larger than the actual size.

In this case the size is identical each time. Due to lack of historical records, I am going to assume that some operation was done in the past that duplicated the disks. The good news is this VM was a test VM i was using for testing copying and my "critical" VMs don't have any duplicate disks. I've now been able to prove, thanks to you guys, that the VMs I do have with multiple disks, besides this one, all have multiple disks configured.

I really appreciate the help and feel much more confidant things will work with I do my migration!

0 Kudos