VMware Cloud Community
CTSTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why did ESXi Host reboot?

What are the steps I need to do to determine why an ESXi Host (5.0) rebooted?  This Host is on a free version of ESXi with no vCenter.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

First step is to check the event logs, to see whether it was a planned reboot. If it occurred suddenly (unplanned) you may check the host's management logs (e.g. iLO for HP, ...) if present. If the host doesn't provide a management interface, check for power failures, fan issues (temperature issues), ...

André

0 Kudos
CTSTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  This was an unplanned reboot at 3am.  Can the ESXi logs tell me anything?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If this was an unplanned reboot, the ESXi logs may end abruptly and then start again, so they may not be much helpful. Unless you have a management interface (as mentioned before) in your host, start checking the environment like UPS failures, power outages, ...

André

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Like a.p mentioned, in case of abrupt shutdown, the logs might not be available, however, you can take a look at /var/log/vmkwarning.log to determine if ESXi was  throwing some warnings

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Having said that, I would rephrase your question to "What made ESXi Host to reboot?" Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos