VMware Cloud Community
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why cant i move a powered on VM from a resource pool?

Hi All

Got a strange one, i have one specific VM which i just cannot seem to move out of an existing resource pool, ive moved all 300 other VMs apart from this one which just seems stuck, why would this be?

Ive looked at the settings of it without any luck at to why I cant drag and drop it somewhere else (in this case into a new vApp i have created).

Help!

Cheers

Stew

Stew
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Did you try shutting down the VM and then move to another resource pool, maybe the CPU/memory allocations of the resource pools you are trying to move the VM into is full or reached the limit and thus not allowing the VM to move into since its already powered on.

Normally a powered off VM would be able to move into resource pools with reservations even if the limit has reached but will fail to power on.

Hope this information is useful

Nikhil

sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I havent powered off yet, as its a production SQL box so will need to try out of hours.

Im aware of the resource limits, but its not this as i can move all the other VMs around.

Was hoping to not have to shut it down, and figure out why it wont move.

In the meantime i have moved the VM along with its home resource pool into my vApp to keep it relatively tidy.

Stew
0 Kudos
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Managed to get this to move without having to power off the VM by chance i decided to try on another machine i was using today and it moved fine.  Strange.

Stew
0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Good to hear you managed to move your VM without having to power it off. Maybe the new host must be having enough free resources in terms of RAM, CPU or hard disk space to host the VM.

Regards,

Nikhil

0 Kudos
sssstew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know what you mean Nikhil, but our cluster which it in has a really low load on it, theres certainly no over subscription anywhere.  I think it was just a bug with my console, probably would have worked if i closed and re-opened it.

Stew
0 Kudos