VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why are snapshots with memory so slow?

Can someone please explain why snapshot with memory are so much slower than without? Snapping a 400gb vm with 8gb a ram without memory is extremely fast. Snap it with memory and it could take 15 minutes at least.

Looking at the datastores in esx, I do not see any data being queued or io pending on the san. I just dont see where the bottleneck would be.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey Jeff,

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015180

<snip>

Snapshot creation takes too long when specifying the memory snapshot option.

Memory: If the <memory> flag is 1 or true, a  dump of the internal state of the virtual machine is included in the  snapshot. Memory snapshots take longer to create.

</snip>

So essentially, say you have a fileserver and you try and take a snapshot with memory state when lot's of users are logged in and copying/modifying files. Essentially the Guest OS memory state would keep on changing as new data is read off or written to.

This uses the MS Checkpoint/VSS technology and basically the more writes that happen, the more time the snapshot creation would take,

In the above example, say you next take a memory snapshot when the machine is idle, that would be a lot quicker as essentially, there would be less data that is in memory in a dynamic state.

Hope that helps!

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey Jeff,

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015180

<snip>

Snapshot creation takes too long when specifying the memory snapshot option.

Memory: If the <memory> flag is 1 or true, a  dump of the internal state of the virtual machine is included in the  snapshot. Memory snapshots take longer to create.

</snip>

So essentially, say you have a fileserver and you try and take a snapshot with memory state when lot's of users are logged in and copying/modifying files. Essentially the Guest OS memory state would keep on changing as new data is read off or written to.

This uses the MS Checkpoint/VSS technology and basically the more writes that happen, the more time the snapshot creation would take,

In the above example, say you next take a memory snapshot when the machine is idle, that would be a lot quicker as essentially, there would be less data that is in memory in a dynamic state.

Hope that helps!

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No worries Smiley Happy

0 Kudos