VMware Cloud Community
bunny101
Contributor
Contributor

Why a reboot to get A/D and VPN access running again?

Hello, all!

I ran into a new (for me) situation this morning.  When I tried to access two standalone ESXi 5.5 hosts last night I could not access them via vSphere client or by SSH.  Ping also did not respond. When I got in this morning, I found they also did not recognize Active Directory credentials.  The VMs, however, were unaffected. After rebooting both hosts the problems went away and access was returned to normal.

My question is: What would account for such an eventuality?  No changes were made to the network that I have any knowledge of, and I'm the guy who makes those changes.

If anyone has run across this or similar issues and has found any clues about what caused it, I'd be thankful for pointers.

Thanks to all for looking!

Gregg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bunny101
Contributor
Contributor

A quick follow-up to this as well:  when I start the vSphere client for my legacy 4.1 stack (we're migrating to 5.5 over the next month) I can use the tick box "Use Windows session credentials."  This points to the same A/D domain as the standalone hosts belong to.  Logging in to these standalone hosts - I need to manually enter usernames and password to log in.  Since they're pointing to the same authentication source, I'm baffled as to why this difference in behaviour.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Just a guess but since we had a switch to daylight saving last weekend maybe that's the cause for your issues. Check if the actual hosts still have their correct time.

Also check if your VMs are on the right time.

0 Kudos