VMware Cloud Community
mbartle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Who's taking the plunge and going to guinea pig vCenter and ESXi 8.0?

To those brave ones out there.  Please share your experiences.  After the disaster of 7.x that ate 16 SD cards in 4 weeks, I am not touching this with a 10 foot pole for quite some time.  I need to let vendors catch up and provide support.  

Has anyone installed this ?

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vspher...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment deleted...

0 Kudos
reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes - I have.  The vCenter upgrade was straightforward.

But ESXi the upgrade was not good on my Intel NUC10i7FNH.

Yes I know it's not "supported" (although it was solid with ESXi 7) however I have had two PSOD's in the first hour:

1. PF Exception 14 in world devlayer - modules involved in panic vmkbsd and vmksdhci along with lots of references to sdhci_* in the trace .  There is an SDHC slot but nothing installed in it on my NUC.

2. Panic requested by another PCPU in vmnic1-pollWorldvmnic1_np and references in the trace to the atlantic driver (which I am using)

Straight ISO install, no modules external to the generic installer.  I have photos of both PSODs if anyone from vmware wants to decode them.

I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade any more hosts now.  I didn't expect perfection but two PSODs in short order was worse than I anticipated.

I would have given the beta releases a go during the test period but last time I looked into this they required a full clean install between each build (while this is easy to do in ESXi, it is just too painful to do on vCenter).

0 Kudos
pmkrautle
Contributor
Contributor

I just installed ESxi8.0 20842819 on the NUC10i5FNH with the net-community-driver (custom image) - consistent PF14 error when the NUC is restarted. See attached JPG.

Peter

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Probably best to create your own post about the issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment deleted...

0 Kudos
pmkrautle
Contributor
Contributor

Disabling the SD Reader in the BIOS appeared to resolve the issue. I tried the  localcli system settings kernel set -s cpuUniformityHardCheckPanic -v FALSE workaround, but did not read further down. Many thanks Ferdinando - will continue to test.

All the best

Peter

0 Kudos
tdoc210
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are just going to 7..., it was finally approved, so no not yet. I do have a spare UCS-B cluster I could see if it would install on, but they are  fairly old.