VMware Cloud Community
Dean_Holland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Whitebox - reboots at "Starting vmkernel initialization"

Yes, I realise it's unsupported but I'm not after official support, just community advice!

I am trying to boot ESXi 4 (U1 or 2) on a Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop (Core i3-330M, 4GB DDR3) but having no success. The host reboots at the "Starting vmkernel initialization" screen. At a suggestion here I tried ESXi 3.5 U5 which rather than a reboot threw up the following PSOD:

VMware ESX Server 3i [Releasebuild-207095]
NOT_IMPLEMENTED /build/mts/release/bora-207095/bora/vmkernel/main/pagetable.c:413
cr2=0x0 cr3=0x0 cr4=0x600
frame=0x271bcd8 ip=0x62b3e5
es=0xffffffff ds=0xffffffff fs=0xffffffff gs=0xffffffff
eax=0xffffffff ebx=0xffffffff ecx=0xffffffff edx=0xffffffff
ebp=0xffffffff esi=0xffffffff edi=0xffffffff err=-1 eflags=0xffffffff
0x271be40:[0x62b3e5] stack: 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
VMK uptime: TSC: 1675967248 TSC: 47704915960
TSC: 1673428636 cpu0:0)KVMap: 274: Out of kvmap entries (numMPNs=1)
No place on disk to dump data

Having it happen in the same spot would indicate to me that ESXi 4 also has the same problem. Any ideas? To me it seems to be a memory issue, perhaps the Core i3's integrated memory controller is something the vmkernel can't cope with? Hardware-wise the memory passes memtest86 no problems and runs Windows 7/Ubuntu 10.04 without error.

(And yes I realise I can't use the laptop while running ESXi - it's planned to sit in my comms cabinet as a low power, low profile server for a handfull of low-I/O VMs. Had a XPS M1330 in that role before it's owner wanted it back!).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Try installing ESXi to a USB stick if the laptop can boot from USB. It would eliminate disk controller incompatibilities.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Dean_Holland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try installing ESXi to a USB stick if the laptop can boot from USB. It would eliminate disk controller incompatibilities.

Hi,

Thanks for that suggestion - the laptop is currently booting from USB. I tried booting with the CD to perform an installation but the same problem happens - reboot at "Starting vmkernel initialization". The pagetable.c error with ESXi 3.5 leads me to believe the vmkernel does not like the way memory is handled, but only VMware devs would know that for sure!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You probably don't have too many BIOS options but I would try looking at anything you had access to.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Dean_Holland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not much unfortunately! Smiley Happy

Only options to enable/disable VT and other devices (USB, wireless, etc.) Smiley Sad

0 Kudos