VMware Cloud Community
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which driver FC QLOGIC apply ? By VMware or Qlogic ?

i´d like know which driver version its better apply in my VMware 4.0 UP1.

I found in HCL this information :

ESX / ESXi 4.0 U1qla2xxx version 821.k1.43vmwinbox

And in website of qlogic:

FC-FCoE Driver (x86/x64)     841.k1.16.2-1vmw    FC-FCoE driver for VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0.x and 4.1.

Now my question is, which driver is better to apply ?

I there a problem with my SAN, and i need upgrade all drivers, firmwares.

Thanks

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless any of the host versions (3.x or 4.x) is compatible with both storage systems, then yes, Converter or export/iport as OVF would be an option. Instead of Converter you may also consider to use a tool like Veeam's FastSCP to just copy the VM's files, this way the UUID's and the MAC addresses of the VM's would remain unchanged.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless there are issues with the driver (in which case you would most likely find a hint on the HCL to the updated drivers in the VMware drivers download) you should go with the drivers provided by VMware, because these drivers were tested with the specific version of ESX/ESXi. In case it comes to data corruption or just issues with storage access you might not be in a supported state if you use other drivers.

André

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

he issue is that QLOGIC homologous to the versions of VMware, as I posted above.
Not sure yet what the problem is in the driver. But all need to check compatibility, and a conflict that I found was this.
The card's manufacturer recommends a level of driver, VMware and others.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

i found the problem.

I have a storage not compatible with version 4 vSphere, but compatible with 3.x.
If I try to do Storage VMotion from 3.X to 4.X can give problems?
or would it be better to try using the converter?
I'm  saying this because I tried to do Storage VMotion storage that is not  compatible with vpshere for other storage, and failed. The connection to storage falls.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless any of the host versions (3.x or 4.x) is compatible with both storage systems, then yes, Converter or export/iport as OVF would be an option. Instead of Converter you may also consider to use a tool like Veeam's FastSCP to just copy the VM's files, this way the UUID's and the MAC addresses of the VM's would remain unchanged.

André

0 Kudos