VMware Cloud Community
iainh667
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which NAS drive do you use? - (home lab)

I'm thinking of buying a new NAS box for my home testlab.  Does anyone have any great recommendation for makes/models? 

The most important factors:-

1. It needs to be inexpensive

2. It needs to work with ESXi 5 - doesn't need to be on the HCL

3. Speed would be nice

4. It doesn't need to have a lot of storage capacity, just big enough to run some average sized servers.

I'm open to any other ideas (iSCSI etc) if they are affordable.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ac427
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a look at Synology devices

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

I am in the process of setting up my Home lab

For shared storage I have a 500GB drive on my Linux Desktop that I will either USE as NFS (Openfiler) or iSCSI (iSCSI target)

Inexpensive although I'm not sure what the speed will be.

From a Windows box you can use Solarwind (Free) to present storage to your hosts with iSCSI or NFS

Hope it helps Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've been using a QNAP TS-559 Pro+ for a couple of years now with great results. With five 1TB drives, under RAID 5, performance is good (home lab environment). With dual Gb NIC's, using iSCSI to connect to my ESXi 5 host, throughput isn't an issue. It's also easy to administrate/manage with plenty of features to keep you going.

I have about 2TB carved into LUNs on my device, with the balance configured as a share for my other systems. This allows me to backup files to the appliance and make sure they're protected (RAID 5) after all. I also have a 'spare' hard drive still in it's wrapper, just in case one inside the chassis goes south on me.

While this solution isn't as cheap as setting up some old hardware as an open source iSCSI appliance, it's rock solid and damned near silent. Look at what SimplyNAS has in your budget range, as well as check out the spec's on QNAP's web site. When I go for another storage chassis, I'll probably end up with the TS-659 Pro II. We'll have to see what drives are available at the time, that's on QNAP's compatibility list for the chassis.

BTW, I run mine 24x7 with 8 VM's accessing it all the time. I have the LUNs sized at about 500GB each (the ISO and Templates LUNs are smaller) so I only put a few VM's on each. Having the two Gb NIC's on the chassis configured for high performance does help. Plus it's easy to setup.

I did look at using open source software before getting the QNAP chassis. It helped to put it into perspective. The QNAP software makes it much, much, much easier to get setup and maintain. Plus, you don't need to worry about hardware compatibilty issues. Or that old hardware deciding to give up the ghost on you. Personally, I'd rather spend a few more dollars getting something that has a higher reliability factor, and is easier to administrate.

rlund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a iomega px array with four ssd drives in raid 0, thanks EMC. These perform well, ill get over 3k I/o a sec with 32k 100% reads via iometter.

Roger lund

VMUG leader

vExpert

Roger Lund Minnesota VMUG leader Blogger VMware and IT Evangelist My Blog: http://itblog.rogerlund.net & http://www.vbrainstorm.com
ac427
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a look at Synology devices

0 Kudos
iainh667
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the replies.  I wasn't aware of the QNAP and Synology range of devices - they both look like very capable manufacturers. 

I'm planning to read through all the offerings from them both and go with a 2 drive solution from the one that gives best performance/features/price.

much appreciated!

0 Kudos