VMware Cloud Community
ALNemer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which License I have to buy ? I'm so confused !!!

Hey all ,,

I have Three Hosts & 1 Vcenter okay ... Have I to buy Editions License Like Standerd but in this case they will charge me about 5000 thousand or have i to buy essenial Kit ? and what's the different BTW free Vsphere & the essenial Kit because it's also doesn't have vmotion or HA and if i buy the essential it will cost me around only 1000 !!!! i can't understand really ? so can u advise me

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

as i can see that there's no DRS or VMtion In Essential Kit .... So when one Host Faild how i can move the VM from one Host To aonther one ?

If a host fails, then neither DRS nor vMotion are applicable - it's HA that's used to restart the guests on another host.

DRS/vMotion are used to load-balance a cluster.  If you don't have this requirement and can manually move the guests between the hosts you're fine with Essentials.  Without vMotion, however, you won't be able to live migrate a guest for controlled host shutdowns - you'll need to shutdown the guest manually before the host can go down.

Personally, with any clusters, I'd prefer the Standard license over the Essentials license for precisely this reason.  The 3-host Essentials kit is more suited to 3 individual hosts, not a 3-node cluster (in my opinion).

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It might come down to how many processors are in those three hosts. Check out the vSphere Kit Comparison for the entitlements:

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/compare-kits.html

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
ALNemer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sorry i Have two hosts every one has 2 processor ... total is 4 processor E5320 qoud core .... and also i didn't get what he mean by Ram entitlements ?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Two hosts with two processors and one vCenter Server to manage them is a perfect fit for either the Essentials or Essentials Plus kit. Cores don't matter and RAM (vRAM) doesn't matter any longer.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
ALNemer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good but want to undersatnd if i buy only Vcenter foundation it's around 1000 and in the same time if i buy the Essential Kit with 3 hosts+vcenter it's around 700 how come ??

also what's the diffent BTW if i buy the essenstial kit or to get a free license for Vspher stand alone i can see it's the same features or it's not true ?

i'm sorry .... for these questions Smiley Happy but really i need ur advise

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Foundation is limited to 3 hosts, but you could have more sockets in the ESXi hosts it manages. The Essentials packages are geared towards smaller environments where the kit would provide everything you need at one time.

The free VMware vSphere Hypervisor will definitely not have the same features as the Essentials editions.

ALNemer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Final question my friend Smiley Happy

as i can see that there's no DRS or VMtion In Essential Kit .... So when one Host Faild how i can move the VM from one Host To aonther one ?

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If a host fails, then neither DRS nor vMotion are applicable - it's HA that's used to restart the guests on another host.

DRS/vMotion are used to load-balance a cluster.  If you don't have this requirement and can manually move the guests between the hosts you're fine with Essentials.  Without vMotion, however, you won't be able to live migrate a guest for controlled host shutdowns - you'll need to shutdown the guest manually before the host can go down.

Personally, with any clusters, I'd prefer the Standard license over the Essentials license for precisely this reason.  The 3-host Essentials kit is more suited to 3 individual hosts, not a 3-node cluster (in my opinion).

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
ALNemer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thnx al ot for ur replay Ed ,,

but in case that i bought the essential Kit & one of the hosts faild Can I access the Shared storage form another host & run the VM which was work in the Host has fiald ?

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

but in case that i bought the essential Kit & one of the hosts faild Can I access the Shared storage form another host & run the VM which was work in the Host has fiald ?

If you follow the link that vmroyale/Brian posted, you can see that this won't work with Essentials but will work with Essentials Plus.  The feature on the chart you are looking for is High Availability.  HA is designed to automatically restart the VM if a host crashes.

With just Essentials, I do not know - I've never tested it - if the VM will remain powered down until you manually restart it. If you can afford it, I would suggest you seriously look at the Essentials Plus kit.  It's certainly a lot more money ($495 vs $4,495 list) but adds a lot of functionality.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
ALNemer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's a lot of money !! okay if there's any way to restart the VM manually it will be fine to me . so do u think that i can restart the VM even if the host Down ?

0 Kudos