VMware Cloud Community
Posbis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Where to get ESXi 5.0 (Free Hypervisor 5.0) license key?

Hi Folks

Sorry, maybe somebody already asked this but I couldn't find an exact answer to my question.

I currently have a FREE ESXi 4.1 server running with a FREE license key provided by VMWare, when I downloaded the product.

I would like to upgrade my system (only have 8GB RAM so no problem with vRAM entitlements) to Hypervisor 5.0 (ESXi 5.0)

I downloaded the ISO and it shows a 60 day evaluation countdown in my VMWare account.

But I never got a license key for 5.0 FREE Hypervisor 5.0.

So my questions:

1. Is Hypervisor 5.0 still a FREE product?
2. Is a license key needed or will it just work after the 60 days of evaluation with limited features?

3. If a license key is needed even for the FREE version; why doesn't the VMWare portal not provide me with a new 5.0 key?

Regards,

Oliver

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

After you log in, click the Licensing and Download tab, scroll down to where it says option 2: Download ESXi. the license key is immediately below there. Further down the page are the links to the binaries.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Its still free, but vram is limited of course. You can see the key when you go through the download process.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you register for a free Hypervisor 5.0 license?

http://www.vmware.com/tryvmware

André

0 Kudos
Posbis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi André

What did you mean with "Did you register for a free Hypervisor 5.0 license?"

If I go to this page I get a login. I login with my VMWare account and I see my evaluation countdown but no license.

Is there a special link where I must request such a license. I don't see anything.

Sorry, maybe I have tomatos on my eyes.

regards,
Oliver

0 Kudos
Posbis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't see anything during the download which looks like a license key...

Regadrs,

Oliver

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

After you log in, click the Licensing and Download tab, scroll down to where it says option 2: Download ESXi. the license key is immediately below there. Further down the page are the links to the binaries.

0 Kudos
Posbis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Now it worked. I visited the link again and there was a "Windows" on the right side saying "Free Products". So I did chose

"Hypervisor 5.0 for 64Bit Systems" and then the Register Dialog appeared. From there it was easy...

I am 100% sure that the list of free products on the right side was not there 3 days ago. VMWare must have recognized that

people have difficulties in finding their license keys.

Thanks for helping....

Regards,

Oliver

0 Kudos