VMware Cloud Community
ThomasK54
Contributor
Contributor

Where to get ESXi 4.1 (post 5.0 release)

I am trying to get a free license to ESXi / vSphere Hypervisor 4.1 because this is the version I'm still using and training on. I seems that all links now redirect to the 5.0 version. I don't want to use 5.0 (yet). It it possible to get 4.1 still?

Thank you...

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may be out of luck... the link below although for 4.1 redirects to 5.0

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/hypervisor_41_installable_free/ZCV0YmRoaHBiZHdldA==

Unless you have a SnS (Support and Subscription) agreement, the free hypervisor may now only be offered in 5.0

When you registered you would have been sent an email as to where you can get your non-expiring key.  Did you log into the site to see if the key was still valid?

ThomasK54
Contributor
Contributor

I have not previously registered for 4.1 on this account.

I have been using vSphere Enterprise 4.1 at work.

I would like to get the free 4.1 version for my personal account.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may have to use the 5.0 release.

0 Kudos
ThomasK54
Contributor
Contributor

Troy, thanks for your help but there is still no definitive answer. I can easily get either 3.5 or 5.0 downloads but it is like they removed all traces of 4.0/4.1. This strikes me as odd seeing how 5.0 is so new. Perhaps I should contact sales/support for an official respnose...

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Of course they want to enforce the 32GB limit ASAP, heh.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I just tried adding a version 5 license to a version 4 ESXi host and the license does not work. Since you hadn't already registered you will likely be out of luck. If you are willing to use the 60 day evaluation you could just make a copy of the ESXi files from the office providing that doesn't violate any office policies. I don't know whether that violates any VMware policy but it will only give you an evaluation.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
ThomasK54
Contributor
Contributor

I just got an official response from VMware Presales Support which basically said there is more longer a free or trial version available for 4.1. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thomas K wrote:

I just got an official response from VMware Presales Support which basically said there is more longer a free or trial version available for 4.1. Smiley Sad

"5.0 is two days old, time to go into production"

FFS.

0 Kudos
UnregisteredUse
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos