VMware Cloud Community
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Where to add Win Server 2012 Datacenter Key in VMware

Hi All,

We have 1 ESXi 5 server with 2 CPU's, we have purchased Windows Server 2012 data center edition 2CPU license. As per the page no 7 of below article in you can use Windows Server 2012 data center edition in VMware environment and with one data center  license you can install unlimited VM's under it.

https://www.google.ae/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownlo...

My question is we have MAK key for Windows server 2012 DataCenter & we would like to create different Virtual machines with different editions of OS like Win Server 2012 Stnd, Win Server 2008 Std etc. But when we try to put the same Win 2012 Datacenter edition key in standard edtion it does not work. How to use the key for activating Virtual machines.

Second question is if i can create unlimited VM's with 1 Windows server 2012 data center edition than how Microsoft will control is someone use same key at different environment like with different ESX server because each VM is a separate entity and keys are entered in guest OS not on the vCenter level.

Please advise as i cant find any relevant answer yet.

Regards,

Khurram Shahzad

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yesterday I had called Microsoft support and they asked for the license No and Authorization Number.

The agent communicated that you when you purchase Win 2012 Server 2012 Data center Edt you get the right to install unlimited VM’s. As per the PO the customer has purchased only 6 licenses but against along this order Microsoft has provided them license keys of different version of Operating Systems as MAK/KMS Keys and we have installed the Virtual Machines using the same keys.

Therefore each server needs a separate Windows Server Data Center license to give you the ability to run multiple guest Operating systems. From a compliance perspective you need separate license for each server whether it’s a Hyper-V, or ESXi Virtualization.

Secondly when you purchase Data Center Edition Microsoft gives you access to MAK in order to activate your VM’s. The MAK/KMS keys microsoft provides are for N-1 Operating system if you want to get the keys for like 2003 server you can contact microsoft.

Please find attached relevant documents.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad

View solution in original post

10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This link might will provide information on how MAK keys work -http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/existing-customers/product-activation-faq.aspx

In regards to licensing upon activation there is communication back to Microsoft and I am sure thay have analytics to keep tabs on license usage -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I couldnt find answer at the specified link my simple query would be in VMware envrionment where to assign Windows 2012 Data center key so that VM can be installed with different versions. If we assign the Windows key in vCenter licensing tab it doesnt work.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Assigning a license key to the guest OS is something that goes on in the guest entirely and is out of scope for the virtualization layer. ESXi or vCenter won't magically enter a MAK license key in the guest for you, you have to do that yourself.

Also note that in the case of deploying VMs form templates, the customization specification license key option is only applicable to Windows Server 2003 or earlier OSes.

2008 and above will either want a Microsoft key management server (KMS) or a manually entered MAK key. This is not something the virtualization layer should or can manage for you.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi MKGuy,

Thats fine vCenter has nothging to do with Windows license so point is if we have windows server 2012 datacenter license how can we use that license in VMWare so that Virtual mahines of different version of WIndows can be deployed.

e.g. If I want to create 2012 standard VM which key should i use for activation as i only have 2012 datacetner version key.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
itatcapital
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

did you get this resolved?

We are in the same/similar boat as you.

We have MAK and KMS keys for 2012 Datacenter but only KMS for 2012 Standard.

I spoke with Microsoft Volume Licensing and they said that with Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, They said that Iinstallation of Windows Server 2012 Standard can only be as a TRIAL, however, any lower version is fine (e.g. 2008, 2003).

I have seen two documents that seem to suggest different things.

1. One document that says that I can install the same EDITION (being Datacenter) and any lower year (e.g. 2008)

and

2. One document that shows a Virtual environment with 2012 Datacenter as the Host and then Windows 2012 Standard, Windows 2008 Standard, etc. as virtual guests.

cheers,

itatcapital

0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yesterday I had called Microsoft support and they asked for the license No and Authorization Number.

The agent communicated that you when you purchase Win 2012 Server 2012 Data center Edt you get the right to install unlimited VM’s. As per the PO the customer has purchased only 6 licenses but against along this order Microsoft has provided them license keys of different version of Operating Systems as MAK/KMS Keys and we have installed the Virtual Machines using the same keys.

Therefore each server needs a separate Windows Server Data Center license to give you the ability to run multiple guest Operating systems. From a compliance perspective you need separate license for each server whether it’s a Hyper-V, or ESXi Virtualization.

Secondly when you purchase Data Center Edition Microsoft gives you access to MAK in order to activate your VM’s. The MAK/KMS keys microsoft provides are for N-1 Operating system if you want to get the keys for like 2003 server you can contact microsoft.

Please find attached relevant documents.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
itatcapital
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

thanks for the reply.

I have the keys for all previous OS's (i.e. Win 2008, Win 2003).

I only have the MAK key for Win 2012 Datacenter, but I only have KMS keys for Win 2012 Standard, which seems odd.

I would assume that I do not keep installing Datacenter in each VM on that server, as normally I would install Standard in each VM.

i will call Microsoft again, i think.

cheers.

0 Kudos
MCVMWAREMJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you get this figured out? Ive same issue.

I only have the MAK key for Win 2012 Datacenter, but I only have KMS keys for Win 2012 Standard.

Ive already installed std trial and have those vms in production.

thanks

0 Kudos
itatcapital
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

no, I never got this resolved. I gave up trying to contact Microsoft. Maybe I will make that my mission tomorrow.

According to the document "itsexe" sent, I should be able to get those MAK keys, unless MS are really pushing the KMS model...:

Running Prior Versions or Other Editions

In place of the licensed version, you may run prior versions or lower editions in any of the OSEs of the licensed server. If you have Windows Server 2012 Datacenter edition you will have the right to run the bits of any prior version or lower edition (Datacenter, Enterprise, Standard or Essentials). If you have Windows Server 2012 Standard edition, you will have the right to run the bits of any prior version of Enterprise, Standard or Essentials edition. You should remember that the ability to run previous version or edition bits does not change the licensing or support terms in which you can use the product; the purchased product (Windows Server 2012) rights apply. This means that the license will continue to cover two physical processors and the virtualization rights do not change.

0 Kudos
eXpat_SE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem - 3 ESXi host cluster, 3 MS Datacenter 2012 licenses. Only KMS keys on the MS VLSC site. If you log into the VLSC site, click on Help, Training and resources, Support tab, you see a link to Contact a Volume Licensing Service Center.

You'll see a list of phone numbers you can call.

I called in an they fixed a MAK B key for me that showed up in my VLSC site while I was still on the phone.

0 Kudos