Can anyone tell me what replaced the "install url http:...." in the ks.cfg for ESXi 5.0? During my kickstart it says it's deprecated, but it doesn't tell me what replaced it and i can't find it in the docs anywhere.
Thanks in advance.
The command "install url http:" got deprecated and if used will result in a failure.
The modified method is mentioned in "Installation-setup-guide" page : 23, which is as follows :
PXE Boot the ESXi Installer Using gPXE
You can PXE boot the ESXi installer using gPXE.
Verify that your environment has the following components:
- The ESXi installer ISO image downloaded from the VMware Web site
- HTTP Web server that is accessible by your target ESXi hosts
- DHCP server configured for PXE booting: /etc/dhcpd.conf is configured for client hosts with a TFTP server and the initial boot file set to gpxelinux.0/undionly.kpxe. See “Sample DHCP Configuration,” on page 18.
- Server with a hardware configuration that is supported with ESXi 5.0. See the Hardware Compatibility Guide at http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php.
- (Optional) ESXi installation script. See “About Installation and Upgrade Scripts,” on page 44.
Use a native VLAN in most cases. If you want to specify the VLAN ID to be used with PXE booting, check that
your NIC supports VLAN ID specification.
1 Copy the contents of the ESXi installer ISO image to the /var/www/html directory on the HTTP server.
2 Modify the boot.cfg file with the information for the HTTP server.
Use the following code as a model, where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the HTTP server IP address. The
kernelopt line is optional. Include that option to specify the location of the installation script for a scripted installation.
title=Loading ESX installer
modules=http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/b.b00 --- http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/useropts.gz --- http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/k.b00 --- http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/a.b00 --- http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/s.v00 --- http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/weaselin.v00 --- http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/tools.t00 --- http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/imgdb.tgz --- http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/imgpayld.tgz
3 gPXE boot the host and press Ctrl+B to access the GPT menu.
4 Enter the following commands to boot with the ESXi installer, where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the HTTP server IP address.