VMware Cloud Community
ZaraRose06
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I get the setup file for VMware Cold Migration

Hi Friends,

Anyboady know, from where can we download the setup file for VMware cold migration. If you know then please share the information. Also please let me know the process how to do the cold migration (step by step).

I hope this setup file is a free version. Right now in our environment we are using vSphere 5.0 enterprise plus version.

Regards,

ZaraRose.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what are you trying to do?  VMware vCenter Converter Standalone can be used for P2V, or V2V (VM powered off).

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I am not sure what you are refrring to as the setuup file - the class cold migration is a feature of vCenter and hence requires vCenter - if you do not have vCenter you can use the database browser feature of the vSphere client that will allow you to move the files that make up the VM and move them to a different datastore -

And troy's suggestion works as well -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

ZaraRose06 wrote:

Anyboady know, from where can we download the setup file for VMware cold migration. If you know then please share the information. Also please let me know the process how to do the cold migration (step by step).

I hope this setup file is a free version. Right now in our environment we are using vSphere 5.0 enterprise plus version.

If you do want to do a "migration" than with your Enterprise Plus license you could do live migration of both VM memory and storage without downtime (vMotion and Storage vMotion) and you do not need to do the migration cold.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos