VMware Cloud Community
shaggeeey
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I find vmware-player-setup? (Trying to get VMRC working on Linux).

On Linux I have downloaded via the web UI, the VMRC client, due mainly to VMWare declining to fix KB#2071245, and the VMs being pretty much unusable without having the ability to type the backslash key (even ALT - XX keyboard combinations don't work).

So when trying to run ./VMware-Remote-Console-9.0.0-4288332.x86_64.bundle it complained about missing vmware-player-setup v5.0.4, so I downloaded and installed VMWare player 5.0.4,

Then I noticed it's actually asking for vmware-player-setup=5.0.4.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a '-setup' package, so I'm a bit stuck how I fulfil this dependency.

bash-4.3# ./VMware-Player-5.0.4-1945795.x86_64.bundle -l

Extracting VMware Installer...done.

Product Name         Product Version    

==================== ====================

vmware-cip           5.1.0.1060500      

vmware-player        5.0.4.1945795      

bash-4.3# ./VMware-Remote-Console-9.0.0-4288332.x86_64.bundle --console --ignore-errors

Extracting VMware Installer...done.

Component vmware-vmx 5.0.4 has unsatisfied dependency: vmware-player-

setup=5.0.4

thanks for any help,

Mark.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Hammi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

I stumbled on almost the same problem. I wanted to connect to the console of a VM on our ESXi 5.5 (Free Hypervisor) - server from my Ubuntu 16.04 - workstation. But I solved it with a little workaround. VMRC's Release Notes (details here‌) supplied the crucial indication :

"Remote Console cannot be installed on the same virtual machine as VMware Workstation or VMware Workstation Player. Workaround: None"

But it's possible to use VMWare Workstation instead to connect to the console of an ESXi - VM. Use "Connect to Server..." from File - menu.

Hope that helps.

best regards,

Marcus

0 Kudos
shaggeeey
Contributor
Contributor

The real problem for me was not the clash with Workstation, but the clash with CIP, which includes elements of Workstation.

You need VMRC and CIP if you have to deal with different versions of ESXi simultaneously, CIP for the earlier versions, VMRC for the later ones.

It turns out the solution is to install VMRC first, then CIP, then I got it working.  The added caveat (Isn't there always one with VMWare!) is the broken (un)installer software so un-installation of CIP doesn't leave a clean system, you still have to manually delete a bunch of files, then you can install VMRC without error, then CIP, now it's all working.  Perhaps the same approach will work with your use-case.

Thanks for the post anyhow, I was aware of the Workstation functionality but that requires an extra license of course, and doesn't let one browse machines and open them direct from the management interface.

0 Kudos