VMware Cloud Community
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Where are previous day logs on ESXi 4.1??

Hello,

I am runing ESXi 4.1 and I wanted to check few things happened in past by digging some logs. When I goto /var/log/ the 'messages' logs present are of today's date. I don't see anything of yesterday's date. Does anyone know where have they gone or how to get them?

Cheers!

Nick

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ngarjuna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

check this commend /var/log/vmware/hostd.log

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert

Unless you have configured the logs to be stored on a persistent datastore or sent to a syslog server they will not survive a reboot.

Could this be the case?

See KB 1033696 for more information.

Maish

VMTN Moderator | vExpert

Author of VMware vSphere Design

@maishsk | My Blog

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

no, this ESX has not been rebooted since over a year. But the logs are available only for current date, no other logs are available fr previous date. Not even hostd, vpxa, messages....

not sure what the problem is 

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

by any chance you configured the log rotation to daily in /etc/logrotate.conf?

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

thanks vguy,

I am actually not able to find this logrotate.conf in the /etc/ folder. do you know where is this file...

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

In classic esx, the logrotate.conf exists under /etc..I do not have a quick access to esxi host at this moment to verify, perhaps you can check it under /var/log/*

alternately, you can enable syslogd on your ESXi host and redirect your logs to an alternate location locally or on a remote server. Please have a look at the below kb on syslogd:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101662...

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Discussion moved from VMware ESX™ 4 to VMware ESXi™ 4.

Regards / Rickard

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos